cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 points drop :-( how long till I see an increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

40 points drop :-( how long till I see an increase?

Hey everyone!
Obviously this answer is not set in stone and it depends on all of the factors. I'm just wondering how long after your new credit cards and accounts report, do you usually see your score start to climb again? My TransUnion score was 707, Equifax 695, Experian 698. Now my Equifax just dropped to 645, TransUnion 685, Experian is 657. These scores just dropped in the last week. I refinanced my car making it look like I paid off my Wells fargo account. This dropped my score a couple points. When I refinanced obviously I have a new loan with a new bank, I also got a new loan from the same bank for a new car. My Capital One Venture started reporting this month, my Amazon credit card started reporting this month, and my new WSECU card started reporting. Basically five new accounts and 1 installment loan paid off. My utilization is good. Less than 10% I also had 2 CLI this month. Barclay $2000-$5000, Wal-Mart $250-$4000.

I'm just trying to see how long you guys think it will take for my scores to start climbing back up. Kind of bummed because I had made it to the 700 club finally after my bankruptcy 1.5 years ago. Happy to have some good credit lines though. My interest rate on the car that I refinanced also went down 10 points from 14.99% - 4.24% :--)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: 40 points drop :-( how long till I see an increase?

It will start to recover next month... shouldn't take too awfully long.

...but remember what a good score is FOR.

You've refinanced your auto saving 10  points off of your interest rate...that's HUGE!  Your CLI's and various new accounts will help too.

In time.

Well done...be patient, your score will recover.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I heard it takes 6months to increase, but that is just based on a website i read that does credit repair, something Sky... Neuman marcus wouldn't give my wife a card when she had refinance under her name on her home. Her scores were 830 at the time

Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey everyone!
Obviously this answer is not set in stone and it depends on all of the factors. I'm just wondering how long after your new credit cards and accounts report, do you usually see your score start to climb again? My TransUnion score was 707, Equifax 695, Experian 698. Now my Equifax just dropped to 645, TransUnion 685, Experian is 657. These scores just dropped in the last week. I refinanced my car making it look like I paid off my Wells fargo account. This dropped my score a couple points. When I refinanced obviously I have a new loan with a new bank, I also got a new loan from the same bank for a new car. My Capital One Venture started reporting this month, my Amazon credit card started reporting this month, and my new WSECU card started reporting. Basically five new accounts and 1 installment loan paid off. My utilization is good. Less than 10% I also had 2 CLI this month. Barclay $2000-$5000, Wal-Mart $250-$4000.

I'm just trying to see how long you guys think it will take for my scores to start climbing back up. Kind of bummed because I had made it to the 700 club finally after my bankruptcy 1.5 years ago. Happy to have some good credit lines though. My interest rate on the car that I refinanced also went down 10 points from 14.99% - 4.24% :--)

No one knows how fast your scores will come back, but you can accelerate the process by

1. paying off the car loan as fast as possible, so that the percentage utilization on it will be lower

2. keeping your overall credit card utilization below 10%, and 

3.keeping all but one of the credit cards reporting at zero balance ... i.e. if you use them pay them off before statement cut.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.