Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40pt Difference Across The Board

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

40pt Difference Across The Board

I have been on credit repairing mission for the past 6 months as I am trying to prepare myself to purchase a home by the end of the year.   I joined this site, read all the blogs, learned a lot, thought I was moving in the right direction as all of my scores on Myfico.com have improved a lot over the past 5 months.   My score's on here read TU-654 EX-645 EQ-640, so I thought what the hell, I will go talk to a mortgage broker and see where I am (terrible mistake).   My actual scores were TU-602 EX-598 EQ-619.   I have paid off student loans, had accounts deleted, done everything I have read and been told to do and have seen 50+ point increases across the board.   At this point I have no clue what is left and how long it will be untill I can finally get approved to purchase a home.  I make good money, 10%DTI, no credit card debt as it is PIF monthly.   Any suggestions on how to raise these scores before I drive myself insane?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: 40pt Difference Across The Board

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been on credit repairing mission for the past 6 months as I am trying to prepare myself to purchase a home by the end of the year.   I joined this site, read all the blogs, learned a lot, thought I was moving in the right direction as all of my scores on Myfico.com have improved a lot over the past 5 months.   My score's on here read TU-654 EX-645 EQ-640, so I thought what the hell, I will go talk to a mortgage broker and see where I am (terrible mistake).   My actual scores were TU-602 EX-598 EQ-619.   I have paid off student loans, had accounts deleted, done everything I have read and been told to do and have seen 50+ point increases across the board.   At this point I have no clue what is left and how long it will be untill I can finally get approved to purchase a home.  I make good money, 10%DTI, no credit card debt as it is PIF monthly.   Any suggestions on how to raise these scores before I drive myself insane?

1. First let me say, by way of preface, that homeowning isn't the unmixed joy it's made out to be. It's a lot of responsibility and expense. If something breaks down you can't call the landlord or move, you have to fix it, even if you can't afford to fix it. And nowadays it's relatively easy to get into a mortgage you can't actually afford to pay back. In the old days the banks cared whether you paid them back; nowadays they package and securitize the mortgages so a defaulting homeowner is someone else's problem, not theirs. So don't assume because you can get the mortgage, you can afford it.

2. Secondly, also by way of preface, I would stay away from mortgage brokers if I were you. Deal directly with credit unions or banks. And don't bother asking them for advice. 9 times out of 10 you'll get wrong advice.

3. Thirdly, by way of actually trying to answer your question, let me say that you've given us almost no information about what's in your credit reports, so it's impossible to suggest what you might do to improve them. I would want to know:

(a) what negatives there are and how old they are

(b) how many open revolving accounts, and what are limits and balances

(c) any open installment loans

(d) what negative factors FICO is telling you

(e) the age of your revolving accounts

(f) recent inquiries and new accounts

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Good questions above. Of all of them, the one on what negatives gets my most attention, because even though you've payed things, had items deleted and so on, that was all you said. I can't help but think that with those scores, something or things are still weighing the score down.

Deoending on what it is, that will dictate your next moves to try to improve.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 7
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It sounds like you are comparing the FICO 8 scores that are included in the monitoring service here, with the mortgage scores that are only in the one-time-pull 3B product here.

Those can be quite different.

For mortgage applications specifically, you need to pull a 3B report with the additional scores (either pay for the one-time pull, or use the quarterly pull included with the monitoring).

On the MyFICO 3-B Score Report, the scores used for mortgages are:

• Equifax FICO Score 5

• Experian FICO Score 2

• TransUnion FICO Score 4

Whichever is the middle score (not average) for you is the one that matters.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bulk of my credit is student loans, I have 2 credit cards, each with 1k limits that are paid off monthly.   My loans were in default but rehabbed and picked up 4 months ago with Navient and deleted from my CR.   1 of my cards is 2 years old, the other I opened about 3 months ago ( secured line) to help boost my scores.   I did pull a 3B, my mortgage scores listed are still off from my actual scores by about 10-14 points each. I have 2 collections accounts from 2012 ( college utilities) that have been paid years ago but still show up.........thats it.

Message 5 of 7
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Since you pulled a 3B I'd be interested to know how some scores compare - namely:

Scoring model-EQ--TU--EX-
Classic Fico 09   
Classic Fico 08   
Mortgage Ficos   

The paid collections should result in a boost in Fico 09 relative to Fico 08. Those collections will hold down your mortgage scores regardless of paid status. They need to be removed from your file(s) to realize the benefit. Can't comment on the loans that were in default.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The bulk of my credit is student loans, I have 2 credit cards, each with 1k limits that are paid off monthly.   My loans were in default but rehabbed and picked up 4 months ago with Navient and deleted from my CR.   1 of my cards is 2 years old, the other I opened about 3 months ago ( secured line) to help boost my scores.   I did pull a 3B, my mortgage scores listed are still off from my actual scores by about 10-14 points each. I have 2 collections accounts from 2012 ( college utilities) that have been paid years ago but still show up.........thats it.

OK so you can improve your scores further by:

1. Making sure 1 of the 2 credit cards reports a zero balance when the statement cuts.

2. Making sure the other card reports some small balance, but less than 10% of the limit.

3. Asking the bureaus to verify the remaining negatives. You can do this yourself or through an agency.

4. Adding one more credit card, probably a Capital One Platinum or Barclay Rewards card. If you do go up to 3 cards, you should maintain 2 at zero balance on statement.

If you do these things your scores will likely go up.

Then there might be other things to do, such as getting a credit union savings account and a share secured loan against it, but do the above things for now.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.