Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

49 point discrepancy between EQ and TU?

tag
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

49 point discrepancy between EQ and TU?

I have a 49 point discrepancy between my "myFICO" ordered credit scores.  There are a couple of differences between the into on the reports, but I am surprised at the big score difference:

TU is 666

EQ is 715 

My CL on TU is $12650, balances $3990, Util% 31.54%

My CL on EQ is $10150, balances $4119, Util% 40.58% 

so that makes my TU Util better than my EQ.

My AAoA on TU is 3.5 years, EQ is 3.3 years, so both are considered 3 years.

TU is showing an old Discover card with an 8/99 AAoA, EQ is not. 

TU is showing my Crown Jewelry account opened 10/08, EQ is not

TU is showing a higher balance on a CC than EQ, but both Util are right under 40%.

TU is showing a lower balance on a CC than EQ, TU Util= 39.68%, EQ Util= 53.44%

TU is showing a lower balance on a CC than EQ, TU Util= 62.28%, EQ Util= 75.28%

TU shows my mortgage being 152,818

EQ shows my mortgage being $152,016

TU INQ - 5

EQ INQ- 0

Other than what I have listed, everything else is identical.  Now I can understand with the extra couple of accounts on TU (1 old closed card and Crown Jewelers) that dings my "new credit" column.  And the 5 Inquiries hurt me on TU.  But My AAoA is basically identical, and my overall Util is better on TU, lower balances on 2 cards ... I guess I am just baffled at that large of a point difference? 

Maybe I was rebucketed in one of the companies but not in the other?  I do have a major derog 2 years ago (120+ day late mortgage) that is showing the same on both reports ... could the bucketing be the issue?  I just can't imagine the tiny differences are the key? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

Re: 49 point discrepancy between EQ and TU?

help please Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aside from the 99 card on one report, one is your oldest card on the other. If you have several years extra years of history on one you might be in a different bucket and thus your new credit/inq as well as your util could be judged more harshly.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

smo65d11 I did not know that Crown Jewelers reported to EQ, well they don't report on my EQ report.  Are they reporting on your EQ?
Message 4 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

No, OP says that CJ is one of the extra accounts being reported on TU.

"Now I can understand with the extra couple of accounts on TU (1 old closed card and Crown Jewelers)"

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

actually I have 2 cards on both reports beginning 1996 and 1997, so the 199 card is not my oldest card.
Message 6 of 8
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

what are the factors that each is listing as "hurting your score"?

Message 7 of 8
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

My EQ score is from scorewatch which doesn't give a report like when you order the scores one by one, so I don't know what EQ says, but TU says

I am rated "Good" overall, and "good" on Payment History, Amount of Debt, Length of Credit History.  I am rated "bad" on amoun of new credit.

You have a serious delinquency (screwed up my mortgage payment)

You have too many credit accounts with balances (7 of my 10)

You recently missed a payment (same issue as the serious delinquency)

You've recently opened too many new credit accounts (5- car loan 7/08, installment loan 1/09, crown jewelers 10/08, target 12/08 and AMEX 8/08, so I assume in August I "should" at least have a bit of a score bump?)

So did the one account that differs between the reports (Crown Jewelers) pushed me over the acceptable "new credit" number?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.