Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 point diff between TU and EQ?

tag
astrobuckeye
Established Member

50 point diff between TU and EQ?

My TransUnion score is 769 and my Equifax score 719.  The only difference is the Equifax score has two recent inquiries, I just got ADT installed and apparently my credit got pinged twice in one week... grrrr.  So can two recent inquiries really impact your score that much? 

I'm planning on buying a car at the end of the year, so I was checking things out to do damage control if possible.  I'm hoping if I keep everything as it is both my scores will be around 770 come this fall.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: 50 point diff between TU and EQ?

Are you sure they are exactly the same? Same oldest account same AAofA? Same total number of accounts?
Message 2 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

I will assume you are talking about FICO scores.  If so do both reports have the same # of accounts and double check util on all CCs.  50 points for 2 INQs is rather high.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 10
astrobuckeye
Established Member

Well for both the average age of accounts is 2 years and the oldest account is 4 years.  And both reports have my credit utilization at 9% which is correct.  They both have old inquiries from when I purchased a home last June but the EQ got two new inquiries from the security company.  I more annoyed that the my credit got pulled by the security company than the score difference.  I was just startled it made such a big difference.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 79point difference between EQ and TU as of 2/26/2010, TU being the lower one. It was as much as 102 points as of 6/1/2009. Both reports are exactly the same, trade lines, age of accounts, number accounts, open/closed accounts, balances, (actually the EQ has 1 more inquiry but that's just 3 in the last 24 months instead of 2)etc..... I have credit monitoring Scorewatch and TU Quarterly and keep really good track of my reports. They are obviously treating the one negative in my report, a delinquency 4 years old completely differently.
Message Edited by OTF on 03-02-2010 08:33 AM
Message 5 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

TU 750, EQ 802.

Only difference is the number of accounts.  Both have 1 inq

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 03-02-2010 05:16 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using some services from TU, and it shows my TU FICO is 750, EQ FICO is 676. Difference of 74 points. The reason is that the report shows TU 57 payments and EQ 17 payments. All EQ payments are showed as "Unknown" (X instead of OK) I think something was wrong with TU, because I don't believe that none of my five credit cards (amex, dis, 2 visa + master, from 5 different banks) reports to EQ. Quite weird.
Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

AnhDo wrote:
I'm using some services from TU, and it shows my TU FICO is 750, EQ FICO is 676. Difference of 74 points. The reason is that the report shows TU 57 payments and EQ 17 payments. All EQ payments are showed as "Unknown" (X instead of OK) I think something was wrong with TU, because I don't believe that none of my five credit cards (amex, dis, 2 visa + master, from 5 different banks) reports to EQ. Quite weird.

Equifax reports show up oddly on other sites. You'll see all those X's instead of OK's, dates display incorrectly or not at all, and so forth.

As long as the accounts are listed correctly on the full EQ report that you get from Equifax, then you're OK.

AFAIK, you can't buy your EQ FICO score from TransUnion, Experian, or anywhere else other than from Equifax itself or here on myFICO.com. Does it actually say "FICO" on the Equifax score, or is it just a generic credit score?

-- btw, this is true of all FICO scores. You can't buy your TU FICO from Equifax, either. And of course, consumers can no longer buy any FICO score at all from Experian. Smiley Mad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah crap, I don't think they're fico score. If I knew they weren't, I wouldn't have paid for it. Nevermind, my bad.
Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cheer up, lots of people get bitten this way.

If you're actively working on cleaning up your credit reports, it's great to have a service that allows you to pull all three credit reports every day.

Just don't pay attention to their "scores". Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.