cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 point drop today - nothing change on credit report

tag
willphule

50 point drop today - nothing change on credit report

Had an alert today to a 50 point drop from 743 to 691, the lowest it has been in over 2 years- requested my report, nothing appears to have changed at all. Is there a delay between score changes and something being reported? What else could cause this?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: 50 point drop today - nothing change on credit report

There is no delay and as long as your score on the report is the same as in the alert, then it would be correct.  Check the number of accounts and make sure that it is the same.  Also check your util and balances.  A 50 point drop could be a late so double check that as well.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 10
willphule

Thanks - I checked again. No balance increases showing either. The only thing I see is one new inquiry - could that be the culprit?
-----------------------------------------------
From 3/08

Accounts 20 Accounts with balances 10 Accounts opened in past year 2 Recent inquiries 5 Collections 0 Public Records 0

Total Past Due No Accounts Past Due
Credit History 17 Years
Late Payments 0

From Today

Accounts 20 Accounts with balances 10 Accounts opened in past year 2 Recent inquiries 6 Collections 0 Public Records 0

Total Past Due No Accounts Past Due
Credit History 17 Years
Late Payments 0
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, seems like EQ maybe doesn't like it when you have more than 5 inqs. I had a major score drop as well last month when I went from 5 inqs to 6 - but I had 3 new accounts recently that may have factored in as well.
Message 4 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's crazy. Maybe if your score had been 843, you would have gotten a 50-point drop for one additional inq, but at 743?

On the other hand, my EQ score is the slowest to rebound from getting a lot of new credit. With only 4 inqs showing, but 3 being cited, my "seeking new credit" is showing as "bad."

Hard to believe, though, that EQ is even tougher on new credit than EX is.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

willphule,

You have no change in your % util over those 3 months? That or a rebucketing is the only thing that I could think would trigger that. I highly doubt your new credit category would drop you 50 points for an additional inq. The category itself is probably worth only 50 points of variation.
Message 6 of 10
willphule

No, in fact small decreases across the board - I am running out of ideas.
Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Without fully reading others' comments and if I had a 50 point drop I would look for the following:

• A new account or new CA account
  • New judgment
  • Utilization change greater than 40%
  • Loss of an account
  • Loss an account but addition of another (noticed you had 1 new inquiry - were you approved?)
  • An updated baddie
  • An addition of a late
  • Change in the "Worst Delinquency" box within each account
  • Change in the positive + negative factors on your EQ and TU FICO reports
  • Change to anything on the summary page
  • Change in any account status
  • Change in the listed CL for your accounts (some CCs don't report a CL - maybe a product change occured)
  • Change to any of the "FICO Score ingredients" found on first page
  • Change in the "update" date on each account
  • Change to any "Date opened" within each acct.
  • Did you dispute anything?

That's all I can think of now. Remember, if this came from a SW alert, then that alert will not tell you everything that happened on your CR. Other stuff could be happening and it won't tell you.

Message 8 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Any old account fall off? Something that was closed around 10 years ago or so?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Have you pulled EX and TU here.  I also might be tempted to pull EQ again.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.