Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

50+ point drop withing 2 weeks

I was one of those people who went thru their younger years not really paying attention to my credit score. Other than a couple of car loans over the years, If I didn’t have cash for something - I didn't buy it. The first week of January 2017 I pulled all 3 credit reports and made a list of everything that was being reported. The negative items being reported were from my student loans and medical bills from the birth of my daughters. Positive items were 3 credit cards all with High available credit and low open balances (under 19% usage) and 2 care loans.

I took this list and paid off every single open item (derogatory or not) being reported except for 2 credit cards. Within 2 weeks of getting everything paid off my fico score dropped over 50 points upon items being revised to show as paid. As of right now I have 2 open cc's with very low balances and 1 new car loan of $15,000.

I understand that things stay on your report for a time. But, one would think that going from collections to paid would increase your score and not cause it to drop. Does it take time for things to rebalance or did I do the wrong thing by paying off everything on my report? Are there any agencies that can look at my report and advise the best path forward to increase my scores?

I'm a complete noob and I find this credit thing to be very confusing, so I apologize for my ignorance. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Contributor

Re: 50+ point drop withing 2 weeks

rbailey303 wrote:

I was one of those people who went thru their younger years not really paying attention to my credit score. Other than a couple of car loans over the years, If I didn’t have cash for something - I didn't buy it. The first week of January 2017 I pulled all 3 credit reports and made a list of everything that was being reported. The negative items being reported were from my student loans and medical bills from the birth of my daughters. Positive items were 3 credit cards all with High available credit and low open balances (under 19% usage) and 2 care loans.

I took this list and paid off every single open item (derogatory or not) being reported except for 2 credit cards. Within 2 weeks of getting everything paid off my fico score dropped over 50 points upon items being revised to show as paid. As of right now I have 2 open cc's with very low balances and 1 new car loan of $15,000.

I understand that things stay on your report for a time. But, one would think that going from collections to paid would increase your score and not cause it to drop. Does it take time for things to rebalance or did I do the wrong thing by paying off everything on my report? Are there any agencies that can look at my report and advise the best path forward to increase my scores?

I'm a complete noob and I find this credit thing to be very confusing, so I apologize for my ignorance. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I think it will rebalance. Negatives don't automatically get removed because they get paid. But they do age off.

What you can do for your scores right now is:

1. let one credit card report at zero balance and the other report at 9% or less of the credit limit, and

2. pay the car loan down as fast as possible.

Also you might want to start sending verification letters to the credit bureaus asking them to verify any negatives being reported, or hire someone to do that; that will often result in negatives being removed from the report.

FICO8 EQ 782 TU 803 EX 790 FICO5 EQ 747 Total revolving 463000
Highlighted

I appreciate the feedback. I've done steps 1 & 2. Now waiting to see how this affects my score.

Is there a sample verification letter that you would recommend?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it is any comfort, while I was not successful, in general with pay for delete, disputing got many items removed from my reports. Calling original creditor worked for others, including all medical. And some simply dropped before the 7 year mark. I had 29 collections a couple of years ago, mostly medical, and now I have none. Paying for collections doesn't make them go away immediately or improve your scores as far as I understand, but it may make them go away more quickly than if unpaid. Good luck!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.