Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50K Credit Limits & FICO 8 Utilization Testing Thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 50K Credit Limits & FICO 8 Utilization Testing Thread

@JLK93 wrote:

Conclusion:  A 51.5K card was tested as the only card reporting a balance. The balance was 1.7% in the first part of the test and $5 in the second part of the test. In both cases FICO 8 and FICO 9 scores remained unchanged. Therefore, I must concluded that a card with a $51.5K limit is included in both individual and overall utilization calculations by FICO 8 and FICO 9.

I have only Discover and PenFed cards with limits of at least 50K. It would be desirable if someone would repeat this same test with a 50K Chase or Citi card.

Thank you for your update on this subject, JLK93.  Great to know that FICO 08 and FICO 9 scores remain unchanged from this experiment.  Also interesting to know that some of the other scoring models do show a drop.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to see this test performed with a $50k card from another creditor?  I wouldn't think that FICO scoring models are able to take into consideration the issuer of the card, but rather the limit is what matters, no? 

So, if a $51.5k "counts" into the utilization equation [with respect to FICO 08 and FICO 9] are we to believe that a higher limit may exist and further testing upward needs to be done?

Message 11 of 13
JLK93
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your update on this subject, JLK93.  Great to know that FICO 08 and FICO 9 scores remain unchanged from this experiment.  Also interesting to know that some of the other scoring models do show a drop.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to see this test performed with a $50k card from another creditor?  I wouldn't think that FICO scoring models are able to take into consideration the issuer of the card, but rather the limit is what matters, no? 

So, if a $51.5k "counts" into the utilization equation [with respect to FICO 08 and FICO 9] are we to believe that a higher limit may exist and further testing upward needs to be done?

I doubt that a higher cutoff point exists. Someone, who is no longer active on any forums, said that he tested a $100K card and that it was included in utilization calculations.

I think it would be interesting to see a card from a major bank tested. Some Visa Signature cards allow the credit limit to be exceeded without penalty. They are essentially NPSL. However, I don't think the result would be any different. 

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha.  I wouldn't expect to see a scoring difference either.  Interesting that a former member with a $100k credit line stated that it was counted into his utilization.  If this data point is true, it would see that monster limits are not viewed any differently than a $300 limit.  Good to know!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.