cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6% of my limit on one card -> 90pt FICO score drop??

tag
CogInTheMachine

6% of my limit on one card -> 90pt FICO score drop??

I have a Costco Amex that I use at Costco only, and only every few months.

My FICO score dropped from ~770 to ~680 because "The balance on one of your accounts has increased by 5933%", namely, because my Costco Amex had about $10 on it, and then I went to Costco and spent another $700.  The credit limit on this card is well over $10k.

I obviously paid the bill, but it is only slowly inching its way back upwards.  Why should I take a ~90pt FICO hit because I spend $700 at Costco?  I've got two large home loans in good standing for years and three credit cards all in good standing, of which $700 is only a few percent of my total credit limit.  And with all the home remodeling I've been doing, I've been putting $10-20k/mo through my other credit cards, paying it off every month.  Shouldn't my FICO score be a little more stable to small charges like this?

I'm in a serious **bleep** moment here.  So frustrating!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: 6% of my limit on one card -> 90pt FICO score drop??

Something else is going on in the background.  Charging $700 on that one card didn't cause a 90 point drop.

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

+1.

Something else is going on.

Can you list out all your cards? What are their limits? What was the last balance each reported on the statement and when did that report go to the bureaus?

If you have that much spend going through cards monthly, tens of thousands, if the amounts appear suddenly in your utilization numbers, they can bring your FICO score down.

Just to baseline, these scores and alerts are from MyFICO, correct?

No baddies whatsoever in your past? No disputed items you have covered over with a letter challenging the disputed item? No charge offs, BK, late payments of any kind?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
Nuggy
Established Member

I'll bet dollars to donuts that one or more of the other cards you're pushing that 10-20k through reported a balance that was very high in relation to its limit.  Just because you pay it off every month doesn't mean they report a zero balance.  All depends on what your balance is when they report.  The $700 charge is not what caused your drop.

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

This big of a drop is usually a derog being reported (late payment, CA or PR), its not because of what you did with the Amex.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.