Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 months later and the same score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

8 months later and the same score?

So i just checked my Equifax score and its exactly the same as it was 8 months ago. 773 fico! okay i know i know i being picky but i paid down almost 50% credit card debt and the car loan is lower too. i think the score remained unchanged due to me having a visa signature credit card only and it doesn't show the credit limit. still i was hoping for a different score than 8 months ago even if it was 1 point higher. i know i am being crazy but thats part of my name too. just wanted to vent and see what kind of feedback i get. later all Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 8 months later and the same score?

@Anonymous wrote:

So i just checked my Equifax score and its exactly the same as it was 8 months ago. 773 fico! okay i know i know i being picky but i paid down almost 50% credit card debt and the car loan is lower too. i think the score remained unchanged due to me having a visa signature credit card only and it doesn't show the credit limit. still i was hoping for a different score than 8 months ago even if it was 1 point higher. i know i am being crazy but thats part of my name too. just wanted to vent and see what kind of feedback i get. later all Smiley Happy

RE: the Visa Signature Credit Card not showing the limit, therefore not yielding a score increase when utilization goes down.  Yep!

And, as you've learned, utilization on installments doesn't carry anywhere near the same weight as utilization on revolving.  Totally different animals.

Is the Visa your only cc?  If so, and you're hungry for a score increase, you'll probably see (at least in the long term) a score jump with a second card.  But do you really want to open a card unless it fits a useful niche in your finances?  And how would it impact your AAofA?

773 is a beautiful score (anything over 760 is grand!).  Sorry there's no excitement as far as score changes go, but there's major PARTY-TIME excitement in maintaining that great score. 

Don't worry, be happy!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

GOD BLESS YOU beamMEup! Thanks for the nice post. i guess i felt bummed their for a minutes cause you work so hard to pay down that cc debt and i was like wtf how bizarre my score is exactly the same as it was in january. Yes i only have 1 credit card these days and unfortunately its the dreaded signature card. they upgraded me on their own and nordy's no longer offers the platinum visa's. so im stuck with it. i am definately not interested in another cc as i feel i might be too tempted to rack them back up. right now my cr only shows 2 open accounts. 1 cc and 1 car loan. I had almost 8k cc debt in january of this year and i'm down to 4k. what a great feeling and hopefully in 6 to 12 months i will have zero cc debt again. i remember those days and they were much better days for me. i know 773 is good. my brother was sitting next to me when i pulled my score and report and he was like wow your score is high now we can get our house. (we rent right now) HAHAHA! 

Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just a thought, and please don't be offended: did you actually pull a new score? Many people don't realize that their score doesn't update on its own. You have to buy a new score report, or you have to have Scorewatch that alerts you to score changes.

And SW sometimes goes wonky on people and doesn't update.

Anyway, I know people think this is a well, duh thing, but lots of others get caught by surprise on this.

At any rate, congrats on the nice score! That will make lenders happy come mortgage time.

It would definitely help you out to have more than one open CC, though. It seems like three is the optimum number. But more importantly, you know your comfort zone, so good for you! Stick with that.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.