cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 point drop in Equifax for new $40 balance?

tag
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

8 point drop in Equifax for new $40 balance?

Just a generic gripe. 

Let a $40 balance report on a card (Walmart discover) that is usually zeroed out at statement time.  That's about half a percent of the limit.

Droped my Equifax score from 795 to 787. Seems a little excessive to me.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 8 point drop in Equifax for new $40 balance?

Did you have another account with a balance on it?  If so, multiple accounts with balances get a bit of a ding.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

@guiness56 wrote:

The higher your scores the more even little things will hurt it.

+1

The effect can be amplified if you significantly increase the percentage of cards with a balance (going from 25% to 50% for example)

Message 4 of 12
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, that's basically what happened.  I had a balance on two of my 4 cards. 

Even though the total Util was lower than last month.

Just seems like they could realize that not everyone takes every card.  And "gee" you might have a balance on more than one card.

Ehh, anything over 760 is gravy anyway.  Just seems like they could have a better way to score that would be a more accurate measure of risk.

@HiLine wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

The higher your scores the more even little things will hurt it.

+1

The effect can be amplified if you significantly increase the percentage of cards with a balance (going from 25% to 50% for example)

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 5 of 12
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Update:

My new bill for AMEX and my balance went up over 2K and no change to my FICO on SW.

That's what doesn't make sense:

- a $40 increase on a card that didn't have a balance before drops the score 8 pts.

- but a $2,000 increase on one that had a balance doesn't do anything to my score?

I give up trying to figure out the scoring method.  (probably what they want anyway)

Message 6 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

Update:

My new bill for AMEX and my balance went up over 2K and no change to my FICO on SW.

- a $40 increase on a card that didn't have a balance before drops the score 8 pts.

- but a $2,000 increase on one that had a balance doesn't do anything to my score?

I give up trying to figure out the scoring method.  (probably what they want anyway)

Hang in there you will find your sweet spot all files are different...1-9% gets me a couple of points..but 1-5% caused more upward movement 5-8 points needless to say you know were I try to stay..Lol

Just came off a app spree so now I have to find the sweet spot all over againSmiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

Update:

I think score changes for SW come 7 - 10 days after something is reported.  That is what I keep reading.

Message 8 of 12
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

Update:

I think score changes for SW come 7 - 10 days after something is reported.  That is what I keep reading.

It's been 2 weeks since my Amex bill showed the 2K increase.  Still no change in FICO score.

Usually as soon as I get the alert, the score changes.

So it seems like they are much more worried about the $40 on a previously zeroed card than a 2K increase on one that wasn't.  Go figure.

Message 9 of 12
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

So I'm not taking the time to do the math with your limits, but I'm guessing even though the absolute number seems large (2k) it didn't actually affect your util that much percentage wise (let's just say it went from 7 to 9% or something). 

In any case, your bucket probably scores number of accounts with a balance pretty highly. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.