cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$800 CLI = 3 point score drop on Experian. Sigh.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$800 CLI = 3 point score drop on Experian. Sigh.

I know it's only three points, but when my scores have been climbing recently, it's frustrating to have something like a CLI make my score go down.

This just doesn't make sense to me.  

There are no other reasons my score should have went down.  No HP, no late payments, no high uti, nothing.  : P

Ironically, the last time I requested a CLI on my Overstock card was on June 18th, and they bumped it to $5400 - so I guess they bumped me to $5600 without me even requesting it this month.  Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.  Smiley Happy

Edited because I made this image waaaaay too huge the first time.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $800 CLI = 3 point score drop on Experian. Sigh.

If no HP was done for this CLI, then I would assume that something else really triggered 3 point drop, even if you have gotten no alert. Maybe a balance increased on some other account or some other thing occurred. Don't sweat 3 points. 13, 23, 33 points would be a different story. 3-5 points is just like seeing your weight go up on the scale, but it's just water weight. Not a lot of consolation, but you will get those points back. A CLI initiated by the OC is a sign that you're headed in the right direction.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 3 point change is little more than noise. Remember everything on your reports changes every month - it all ages.

Message 3 of 8
crrredit
Established Contributor

Three points ain't nothin', unless your sitting at 599 or 699 and it's driving you nuts, haha. Just take about $10 of that CLI and have a couple beers. No worries.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys for pointing out the obvious!  Smiley Happy

I'm signed up for myFico's monitoring service, and Credit Karma, etc - no one has reported anything from them except the CLI.

You're right though - 3 pts is nothing, but if it WAS the CLI that triggered it, I just think that's so ...  odd.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit score went up 12 points after I charge 200 on a victoria's secret credit card that had a zero balance the month before. I find it impossible to predict what will raise or lower my score. 

Message 6 of 8
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you guys for pointing out the obvious!  Smiley Happy

I'm signed up for myFico's monitoring service, and Credit Karma, etc - no one has reported anything from them except the CLI.

You're right though - 3 pts is nothing, but if it WAS the CLI that triggered it, I just think that's so ...  odd.  Smiley Happy

Rest assured that it was not a CLI that triggered the point change. It was something else. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume it isn't the CLI, but I wonder.. Is there any new account type "seeking credit" penalty for a CLI beyond the HP it may generate?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.