Frequent Contributor
cfstr1

Re: 840

That's great. Thanks for the info.
Senior Contributor
smallfry

2 credit cards showing a balance and a meager one at that. What a surprise. Not. Well done OP.
Valued Member
mborgens

I ran the simulator.

If I miss 1 payment, my score could drop as much as 140 points. Wow!

And on my lower score (817), paying my CC's to show a $0 balance, could raise my score by 20 points. I thought we were told to keep a low balance, interesting?
Senior Contributor
smallfry

mborgens wrote:
I ran the simulator.

If I miss 1 payment, my score could drop as much as 140 points. Wow!

And on my lower score (817), paying my CC's to show a $0 balance, could raise my score by 20 points. I thought we were told to keep a low balance, interesting?

Lots of opinions on that from both sides of the aisle. I have heard highest scores are obtained when paying in full before the statement cuts and some say to wait until the balance reports then PIF before the due date. Try both ways and see what happens.
Valued Member
mborgens

smallfry wrote: Lots of opinions on that from both sides of the aisle. I have heard highest scores are obtained when paying in full before the statement cuts and some say to wait until the balance reports then PIF before the due date. Try both ways and see what happens.

I'm already doing the latter. I PIF each month after the balance is reported.

It seems odd that a zero balance would generate higher scores than a balance between 0 and 1%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+