Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 point drop for inquiry.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

9 point drop for inquiry.

Got approved for discover it card last night. Got the alert today and caused a 9 point dip. Im super excited. But i hope it doesnt take long to get the points back maybe when discover reports and the available credit shows up.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FIRECOURAGE
Frequent Contributor

Re: 9 point drop for inquiry.

Congrats! What are your scores?

4/01/2019 | Dismissed Chapter 7 BK

2/12/2024 | Equifax: 677 | Experian: 699 | TransUnion: 725
Goal Score: 750 - Across The Board
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They pulled Equifax and prior to the pull i was at 712
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, you will take a hit on a thin file for an inquiry. Its ok because now you are rolling and will quickly gain your points back

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Got approved for discover it card last night. Got the alert today and caused a 9 point dip. Im super excited. But i hope it doesnt take long to get the points back maybe when discover reports and the available credit shows up.

Are you still going to app for a mortgage this summer?  The lender will ask about this card if you have apps within 4 to 6 months of mortgage application.  Make sure you have a zero balance on it and a reason for getting the card just before applying for a mortgage.  One card is explainable, several will be a red flag to the mortgage lender as it is 'credit seeking behaviour'.  If you have balances on the card, it will become more of an issue as it adds to DTI and may or may not be considered a run up of credit, depending upon the number of new accounts and their balances. 

Of course, none of this applies if you aren't going for that mortgage in the next few months.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.