11 point increase? Ok. I'll take it.
Overall utilization 15%

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: 99% Utilization Earned 11 Points?

No way a maxed out card would GIVE points lol. Most likely aging of accounts or something gave you the 11 point boost.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that's odd. But then again, what isn't about the credit game sometimes?
Message 3 of 10
lexandra90
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow that's odd. But then again, what isn't about the credit game sometimes?

+1 this!

Credit: $80K Total Credit Lines...Gardening until 7/2018
Message 4 of 10
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@OMW2_HighAcheiver wrote:

QS1 reported on EX yesterday.
Overall utilization 15%

Credit is weird. Maybe something else triggered it, though.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes no sense, but as others have said, this credit business often does not. Congratulations in any case.

Message 6 of 10
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
No way a maxed out card would GIVE points lol. Most likely aging of accounts or something gave you the 11 point boost.

Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-08-15.png

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

That's only what caused the alert not what gave you the score increase.  As Omar states, there is no way a 99% balance reporting would help your score.  In fact it hurts your score.  There is no correlation between what triggers the alert and the score change.  Something else caused the score increase.

Message 8 of 10
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

That's only what caused the alert not what gave you the score increase.  As Omar states, there is no way a 99% balance reporting would help your score.  In fact it hurts your score.  There is no correlation between what triggers the alert and the score change.  Something else caused the score increase.

I'm just going to go against the grain here for a second! 

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm no FICO expert and I'm sad to report that really, no one else here is either. I can only report what is reporting to me. I get it. At some point it's been adopted that n=x! I get it. It has been beaten into our heads here.... I'll stop. I don't want to violate the rules.

THANK YOU TO WHATEVER allowed the increase. Yes, I know it could be different tomorrow, yada, yada, yada.....it's positive 11 Points today!

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

QS1 reported on EX yesterday.
Overall utilization 15%

Always be careful assuming causality.  Maxing a card didn't improve your score.  Your score improved despite maxing the card.

THANK YOU TO WHATEVER allowed the increase. Yes, I know it could be different tomorrow, yada, yada, yada.....it's positive 11 Points today!

You cannot rely on myFICO's alerts and updates on their own to determine the cause(s) of a scoring change.  myFICO is a trigger based service.  Not all activity with a scoring impact is a trigger.  The reason listed is just the trigger.  To determine the cause(s) you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.

If you do want to improve then idenitify your issues and work on addressing them.  Don't just obsess over the numbers and get that utilization down ASAP.  Revolving utilization isn't just a scoring factor but a risk factor.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.