Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A long climb?

tag
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

A long climb?

Hi all!

I started establishing my credit file back in Oct. of 2007 and managed to get a few installment loans since then to help the process along. I have a total of 4 installment loans reporting with one being a CU loan for a motorcycle that I purchased in Feb. of '08 with the help of a friend who cosigned. The other 3 are personal loans from local finance companies with one showing a zero balance(paid off in Mar. '08). May 31st marked the 6 month mark for my oldest account so I decided to use the 3 reports/scores from the Suze platinum kit I purchased in Oct. of '07 when I started all of this.

My EQ score is 623 and TU is 620, and both were pulled on May 31st using the Suze kit. On June 5th I was able to pull EX which reported a 609. I have a med CO on EQ and TU that is due to fall off in Oct. of this year, and there are 2 collection accounts on EX with one being the same med CO as is on EQ and TU. The other is a small (paid) collection from when I changed insurance companies back in '05(oversight on my part). All payments are being made on time with no lates at all.(other than the collection accounts)

I started another thread recently about possibly getting either a store CC or a sub-prime CC to help out my credit mix and I decided last week to app some companies. I managed to get the Orchard card with a 300.00 limit and a 79.00 annual fee(even though I detest those fees Smiley Tongue). They also charged me a 39.00 processing fee.

My question(s):

I've noticed from peoples signatures who post on this site that their scores really havent went up all that much since posting their beginning scores and I'm wondering what I can expect now that I have a CC in the mix. It seems that I went from not having a score back in Oct. of '07 to a fairly decent score of 609-623'ish in just the past 6 months, but from what I've read in other threads the road from here seems to be a long and painful one as account age and timely payments continue past this initial 6 month mark. Is there anything I can do to help bolster my score now that I have a CC in the mix other than comtinuing to make timely payments on everything? I would really like to be in the 700 club somewhere around the 18 month mark(from Oct. '07). Is that even possible?
EQUIFAX - 640 1/05/12 - Goal of 720 by Mid May!
Transunion - 637 - 01/15/10
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A long climb?

Credit Cards are key.....You have already established your ability to pay fixed installment loans so adding a revolving credit card will help it go a lot faster.

Report balances 9% or under and pay in full every month....A few points will be lost at first (maybe 5), but after PIF'ing the first payment it will go up....

You will get a What is helping your score? Good use of mixed credit. Which I have found is key to getting a high score.
Message 2 of 15
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply Mel. In using the score simulator it seems that just adding the Orchard card will increase my TU score to the 640-670 range, which is great news. Also according to the simulator; if I pay on time for the next 24 months on all of my installment accounts, my score would go to the same level, which is interesting. So by adding the CC to the mix -and- making timely payments on everything it seems possible that I could be in the 690 range within 18 months if I did my calculations correctly based on what I've read on these forums. I think I'm going to become a FICO-holic in the coming months ..eek!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the new credit card........in my experience you should hit the high 600's after 6 months of timely payments.

My median score was 650 in 2004, then I bought a car and added my first installment loan, 18 months later when I sold the car my highest credit score was 787...

Yes those score #'s really drive us!!!! (fico-holic's that is)

Message Edited by 1111mel on 06-25-2008 10:13 PM
Message 4 of 15
marty56
Super Contributor

ChrisGA43 wrote:
I've noticed from peoples signatures who post on this site that their scores really havent went up all that much since posting their beginning scores
At some point, we all hit a scoring wall where we have to wait for time to pass.  This could be for accounts to age or derog information to fall off or even our ability to get new credit.  I am very to close to that scoring wall now.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 15
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

marty56 wrote:

ChrisGA43 wrote:
I've noticed from peoples signatures who post on this site that their scores really havent went up all that much since posting their beginning scores
At some point, we all hit a scoring wall where we have to wait for time to pass.  This could be for accounts to age or derog information to fall off or even our ability to get new credit.  I am very to close to that scoring wall now.

Is it also possible that I'll face a rebucket once the only derog drops from my TU and EQ reports? Or does account age require more than a year of history before that would occur?

Message Edited by ChrisGA43 on 06-26-2008 03:00 PM
Message 6 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ChrisGA43 wrote:

....Is it also possible that I'll face a rebucket once the only derog drops from my TU and EQ reports? Or does account age require more than a year of history before that would occur?

Very good question! I believe that you're in the very new credit bucket (don't know the exact name), and I think it's driven by age rather than by the presence of derogs. So you could get a score change, but I doubt that there would be a re-bucketing.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 15
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@ChrisGA43 wrote:

....Is it also possible that I'll face a rebucket once the only derog drops from my TU and EQ reports? Or does account age require more than a year of history before that would occur?

Very good question! I believe that you're in the very new credit bucket (don't know the exact name), and I think it's driven by age rather than by the presence of derogs. So you could get a score change, but I doubt that there would be a re-bucketing.

Any idea as to the length of time that someone such as myself will stay in this "very new" credit bucket? It would be nice to know so I dont freak out when my score suddenly drops when it occurs. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It has been theorized, from ScoreWatch notices from some of the members on this board, that there is an approximately 0-2 year bucket, then a 2-5 ish bucket, then a 5-??? bucket, and then one at 12+ and probably 19+.

You will be in a "newer" credit bucket for some time though you can have a 760 score in the 2-5 year theorized bucket if you have optimized the factors that go into FICO scoring. At this point you will be getting within a quarter of a point of of the most favorable rate if your income, job history, reserves, and debt to income ratio are all appropriate for the loan.

Message 9 of 15
Lucid08
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It has been theorized, from ScoreWatch notices from some of the members on this board, that there is an approximately 0-2 year bucket, then a 2-5 ish bucket, then a 5-??? bucket, and then one at 12+ and probably 19+.

You will be in a "newer" credit bucket for some time though you can have a 760 score in the 2-5 year theorized bucket if you have optimized the factors that go into FICO scoring. At this point you will be getting within a quarter of a point of of the most favorable rate if your income, job history, reserves, and debt to income ratio are all appropriate for the loan.

Great information debt!

When you mention reserves, what exactly do you men? I understand DTI, income and job history though.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.