Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about inquires

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

A question about inquires

It's my understanding that soft pull and hard pull contain nearly identical data,so my question is whether credit card companies code inquiry as hard in order to serve as a warning shot to other creditors that an individual is seeking credit .
I Googled my little heat out trying to find an image of what either one looks like and came up empty.
I am curious about the rationale behind it, because many issuers will do CLI based on soft pull, but that in essence is also credit seeking, except without a scoring ding.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A question about inquires

A SP and HP contains the same data, just that the HP remains present for 2 years making it known that you were seeking additional credit.  As you stated above, additional credit could be in the form of a new account, or greater credit on an existing account.

You are correct that some creditors will do SP CLIs.  It's all very creditor-specific and those that give them with a SP simply don't feel that the additional credit being given is significant enough to constitute a HP.  There are creditors out there though that will only give you $500 (or even nothing) with a HP request.

You mentioned a scoring ding with taking on a HP.  It's important to understand that this isn't always the case, as people often can take a HP and see no scoring ding at all.  It all depends on how many other inquiries are present at the time.

Message 2 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Thanks, BBS. That makes a lot sense.
As a professional data cruncher, I find it all quite fascinating
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

As do I, which is probably why I spend so much time on this forum Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

My guess is that some lenders treat CLI requests as seeking new credit, which is a hard pull. Others do them on the basis of account reviews, which are soft pulls.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

And many of them like Citi for example will do them as a SP or HP depending on the circumstances, so it's always good to know which it will be before making an attempt.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We had a long thread a year or two ago in which I asked why a particular creditor would do hard pulls at all, given that typically the creditor has something to gain by not making his customer angry.  How does it help that particular creditor in that instance to aggravate his current or potential customer by doing the hard pull -- when he can get the same info by doing the soft pull?

What most people would say is that the hard pull helps alert other creditors -- but that in a way intensifies the puzzle rather than resolving it.  Why would Bank of America want to help out Chase?  Again, we tended to hear as a response, "yeah but if everybody thought that way, then we wouldn't find out about any credit apps" which doesn't address the almost Darwinian importance of the event as it occurs in time.  If you give people the option to pay taxes, then we should expect that almost no particular individual would pay, even though we can show that if everybody thinks that way it will cause our nation to collapse.  Likewise, since individual creditors have an option to do a soft pull, their decision for each pull should be dominated by the desire not to offend a current or potential customer.

I had originally guessed at the time that there must be some kind of federal or CRA guidance that forced creditors to do hard pulls for all new accounts, but that turned out not to be true, if I remember right.  No one is forcing creditors to do hard pulls, but they all somehow do them anyway (except for CLIs, credit union memberships, and SS loans, about which there is a wide diversity of practice -- again with no discernable pattern or rationale).

All interesting stuff to be sure.

Message 7 of 12
Kree
Established Contributor

I get lots of junk mail, including personal loan offers.  "Get pre-qualified with a soft-pull" they say.  And it is true, they will give your rates with a soft.

But,   they will all do a hardpull right after you submit your application, and right before they accept it.   There must be something different in the information.   I'm thinking, disputed tradelines will often disappear from your record during disputes.  What if HPs can see the tradeline?  it isn't scored in, but it is there to see.

Or maybe HPs secretly reveal hidden notes about customers.   "this Kree guy is a jerk."    Something, there has to be something.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kree.  Certain kinds of soft pulls do indeed have much more limited information.  CC issuers (for example) can go to a CRA and ask it to give the issuer a list of people who's credit data meets certain criteria.  That could be whatever the CC company wants: low utilization, few inquiries, no derogs, anything.  Then the CRA gives the CC issuer a bunch of names and addresses -- which in turn will likely lead to all these people getting a "pre-approval" offer in the mail.

When this happens, all the CC company gets from the CRA are the names of the people who met the criteria, but no listing of each person's accounts.  Nonetheless, the CRA is obligated to classify that as a "soft pull" of one's credit.

So yes, some soft pulls (i.e. the ones for promotional purposes) are far more limited.  But if a CC company does a soft pull in response to you asking for a CLI, then they get to see your entire report (except of course for the listing of soft pulls, which no creditor can ever see).

Message 9 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

What prompted me to ask is Discover's recent tendency to do approvals without a hard pull, but also decline without a hard pull. For a consumer, that's really a win win situation. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.