Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAOA and inactive accounts

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

AAOA and inactive accounts

I'm an AU on my wife's Sears card, which is about twice the age of my oldest credit card.  The account is open and has a tiny CL, so it sits in the sock drawer unused.  If it had a high limit it would be worth using once in a while so it helped utilization, but the whole CL is less than 1% of our total credit, so there's no point.

My question:  As this card is unused and thus likely inactive, will it continue to calculate in our AAOA?  Or should we use it once a year to keep it in the mix?  I would close it altogether if it wasn't for the AAOA benefit.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: AAOA and inactive accounts

Message 2 of 4
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Curious, if you close a CC does it still "age" after you close it? Or does it only count whatever the length was when it was closed?

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

it's the date opened that factors into AAoA for both open and closed accounts. So yes, a closed account will still "age" with regard to AAoA.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.