cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAOA calc - does it include duplicate accounts due to the card being closed because of fraud

tag
nagisa
New Contributor

AAOA calc - does it include duplicate accounts due to the card being closed because of fraud

So I know that normally closed accounts are still considered when calculating your AAOA for your FICO score (at least according to the sticky!). A couple of weeks ago due to a thread on this forum I started wondering if for duplicate accounts on my CR (when the first one is closed due to fraud and the bank opens up a second identical account on my CR with the same account opening date) whether both are counted for AAOA or if it knows to only use one.

Fictious Example of what my CR might look like:

Bank     |    Account opening date

------------------------------------------

Bank A - 03/2010 [closed due to Fraud on 06/2011]

Bank B - 03/2011

Bank A - 03/2010 [this is the reissued card of the original 03/2010 card]

Would my AAOA be:

Option a) [include the duplicate]: (2x 3 years + 1x 2 years) / 3 cards = ~2.67 years

Option b) [ignore the duplicate]: (1x 3 years + 1x 2 years) / 2 cards = ~2.5 years

OK in this example there isn't a huge difference but you get the idea Smiley Tongue

This started out as a mere curiosity, but since my Citi Forward card got frauded this morning Smiley Sad and they're reissuing it, I'm actually really rather curious to find out an answer to this. Is there a way I can check my AAOA now and then in a month or two after the new reissued Citi card reports? That would settle the question. I'm not prepared to pay tens of dollars just to satisfy my curiousity.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AAOA calc - does it include duplicate accounts due to the card being closed because of fraud

All accounts listed on your Accounts page on your FICO report are included into AAoA, whether opened or closed, stolen or not, good or bad, Charged-off, not charged-off, etc.

Message 2 of 4
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Re: AAOA calc - does it include duplicate accounts due to the card being closed because of fraud

Great question.  And thanks for an answer.  I often wondered that.  I have 2 accounts listed twice and I just did the AAOA math and it appears to include them.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 3 of 4
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

It depends on creditor hsbc shows as diff account c1 kept as 1 account tl. So it varies. But I have have gemb banana which is still reporting though closed I have a new one open so it helps I guess.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.