Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Contributor

AAOA calc - does it include duplicate accounts due to the card being closed because of fraud

So I know that normally closed accounts are still considered when calculating your AAOA for your FICO score (at least according to the sticky!). A couple of weeks ago due to a thread on this forum I started wondering if for duplicate accounts on my CR (when the first one is closed due to fraud and the bank opens up a second identical account on my CR with the same account opening date) whether both are counted for AAOA or if it knows to only use one.

Fictious Example of what my CR might look like:

Bank     |    Account opening date

Bank A - 03/2010 [closed due to Fraud on 06/2011]

Bank B - 03/2011

Bank A - 03/2010 [this is the reissued card of the original 03/2010 card]

Would my AAOA be:

Option a) [include the duplicate]: (2x 3 years + 1x 2 years) / 3 cards = ~2.67 years

Option b) [ignore the duplicate]: (1x 3 years + 1x 2 years) / 2 cards = ~2.5 years

OK in this example there isn't a huge difference but you get the idea Smiley Tongue

This started out as a mere curiosity, but since my Citi Forward card got frauded this morning Smiley Sad and they're reissuing it, I'm actually really rather curious to find out an answer to this. Is there a way I can check my AAOA now and then in a month or two after the new reissued Citi card reports? That would settle the question. I'm not prepared to pay tens of dollars just to satisfy my curiousity.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $7.6k (10/12) -> $19.7k (3x CLI), Amazon Chase Visa $3.1k (10/12), Citi Forward Student $4k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k siggy (3/13 - 50k sign up bonus)

EX FICO 767 10/12
TU FAKO(? from Chase Amazon) 742/990 10/12
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AAOA calc - does it include duplicate accounts due to the card being closed because of fraud

All accounts listed on your Accounts page on your FICO report are included into AAoA, whether opened or closed, stolen or not, good or bad, Charged-off, not charged-off, etc.

Established Contributor

Re: AAOA calc - does it include duplicate accounts due to the card being closed because of fraud

Great question.  And thanks for an answer.  I often wondered that.  I have 2 accounts listed twice and I just did the AAOA math and it appears to include them.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Frequent Contributor

It depends on creditor hsbc shows as diff account c1 kept as 1 account tl. So it varies. But I have have gemb banana which is still reporting though closed I have a new one open so it helps I guess.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.