cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA and closing Wells Fargo good or bad?

tag
trsharpe27
Established Member

AAoA and closing Wells Fargo good or bad?

I have a secured Wells Fargo card that they refuse to unsecure, ugh. The card only has a $300 limit (by far my lowest limit) with an annual fee of $49.  However, I have had it for about 2yrs. My avg AAoA is 7yrs. How are closed account factored into AAoA? Would me closing this account hurt my AAoA considerably? 

Other cards no annual fees

NFCU CashRewards $4700

NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig $5000

Quicksilver $2000 (oldest card)

Cheers

Starting Score (04/08/2017): EQ: 509, TU: 518
Current Score: EX: 626 EQ: 618 TU: 646
Goal Score: EQ:720, TU: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AAoA and closing Wells Fargo good or bad?

Closed accounts factor into AAOA the same as open ones.

Closing it is a non-event other than it starts the ~10 year clock running for when it will fall off your credit report.

From what you describe I'd simply close it, you don't need it and while there is a time and a place for AF's it isn't this one from the sounds of it.  I still do keep my $25 AF Zync around for the simple reason of short of a BK or Amex going out of business, it's unlikely to be taken away from me ever unlike some of the other cards I keep open and age of oldest account is a thing for maxing the scorecard, but even with my current file only dating back 10 years, I'm close enough to kiss 800 anyway on FICO 8 where I'm clean(ish) and that's with some things not pretty (CFA / inquiries / installment utilization) on my report too.

        
Message 2 of 5
trsharpe27
Established Member

Thank you for your assistance. I'm going to close it after my October statements cuts. 

Starting Score (04/08/2017): EQ: 509, TU: 518
Current Score: EX: 626 EQ: 618 TU: 646
Goal Score: EQ:720, TU: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Closing it is a non-event other than it starts the ~10 year clock running for when it will fall off your credit report.

From what you describe I'd simply close it, you don't need it and while there is a time and a place for AF's it isn't this one from the sounds of it.  I still do keep my $25 AF Zync around for the simple reason of short of a BK or Amex going out of business, it's unlikely to be taken away from me ever unlike some of the other cards I keep open and age of oldest account is a thing for maxing the scorecard, but even with my current file only dating back 10 years, I'm close enough to kiss 800 anyway on FICO 8 where I'm clean(ish) and that's with some things not pretty (CFA / inquiries / installment utilization) on my report too.

Besides...Pulling out that white AMEX gets some looks nowadays! I know, I also have a Zync and am keeping it just for those looks it gets!

(I can't tell you how many waitresses I've seen turning it over in their hands as they are walking back to the register, probably wondering what kind of AMEX it is!)

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jamie123 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Besides...Pulling out that white AMEX gets some looks nowadays! I know, I also have a Zync and am keeping it just for those looks it gets!

(I can't tell you how many waitresses I've seen turning it over in their hands as they are walking back to the register, probably wondering what kind of AMEX it is!)

Laugh, it's been a while since I did that but whenever I wind up in a new gig (and wind up eating out 10 more times a week than I do now again) I may play that card too.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.