Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA clarification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAoA clarification

Two separate questions about AAoA.

1.  Is it calculated the same way that any average is calculated? So 5 accounts opened 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4 months ago results in an AAoA of 8 months?

2.  Are closed accounts calculated into your AAoA?  I thought the answer was no (part of the reason you don't want to close an old account is because it will hurt your AAoA), but this thread says AAoA includes all accounts, closed and open, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AAoA-Calculation/td-p/501000.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AAoA clarification

@ptrutkowski wrote:

1.  Is it calculated the same way that any average is calculated? So 5 accounts opened 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4 months ago results in an AAoA of 8 months?

2.  Are closed accounts calculated into your AAoA?  I thought the answer was no (part of the reason you don't want to close an old account is because it will hurt your AAoA), but this thread says AAoA includes all accounts, closed and open, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AAoA-Calculation/td-p/501000.

Thanks!

Your AAoA is the sum of the ages of every account (except CA collections and public records) on your report, whether open or closed, calculated in months, divided by the number of accounts and then divided by 12. I use the division by 12 to make it easier to convert into years. This is measured from the time each account was opened until present.

You’ll need to figure the age of each account, open or closed, on each report. If all three reports are identical (very unlikely), you're in luck; otherwise, you'll need to run this for each report.

Also the act of closing an account in and of itself will not hurt your AAoA or credit length history. You can read more here about Closing Credit Cards.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AAoA clarification

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Thanks!

Your AAoA is the sum of the ages of every account (except CA collections and public records) on your report, whether open or closed, calculated in months, divided by the number of accounts and then divided by 12. I use the division by 12 to make it easier to convert into years. This is measured from the time each account was opened until present.

You’ll need to figure the age of each account, open or closed, on each report. If all three reports are identical (very unlikely), you're in luck; otherwise, you'll need to run this for each report.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

So besides the hit your UTL will take, there isn't a downside to closing an old, unused account?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.