Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAoA question

Ok, so...I'm trying to decide if it would be worth GW'ing an old auto loan to have 2 (of my 17) lates removed ahead of applying for a new car loan. I know my CU pulls the Auto Enhanced score, so I'm thinking that getting rid of these lates can only help me. They are old, one in 2002 and one in 2003, so I know they won't help my traditional FICO a lot, but if they're gone that will leave 3 totally clean auto loans (two closed, one open). If I try, and the entire TL is deleted, I'm trying to figure what kind of hit that would be to AAoA...so, someone tell me where I'm going wrong...

AAoA = 6 years, 5 months (77 months)

Total accounts = 9

Car loan in question - Opened 09/01, Closed 08/05 (47 months)

77 * 9 = 693 total months

693 - 47 = 646 total months (without auto loan in question)

646 / 8 = 80.75 months = 6 years, 8 months new AAoA

Is this right?  

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AAoA question

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. All accounts, open and closed count in AAoA, from the time of opening to present, as long as it shows on your reports, it counts.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

You count AAoA from the opening of the account, not the closing.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply ByrdMan, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I counted the amount of time the account was open, but are you saying I count the amount of time it was opened to present? 

Message 3 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. All accounts, open and closed count in AAoA, from the time of opening to present, as long as it shows on your reports, it counts.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks ByrdMan, that's the part I was missing. Based on that, it looks like that would drop my AAoA to 6 years, 3 months. The question now is...would losing a few months of AAoA be outweighed by losing a couple of 6 year old 30 day lates on a closed auto loan. Of course, I'm talking strictly in terms of the Auto Enhanced FICO score. 
Message 5 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I think that you'd get more mileage out of having the baddies gone. The AAoA isn't too much different.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming I did the calculations right (same as above, except counting that one acount from date opened until now), I think I'll go ahead and send 'em a GW. At best, I have 3 clean auto accounts. At worst, I have 2 and a couple months less AAoA. Or, I suppose, at worst they do nothing and I have what I have now...lol  Either way, I think it's worth going for. 

Thanks for all the input ByrdMan!!  

Message 7 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome. GL

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.