Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAofA and Credit Card Apps

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

AAofA and Credit Card Apps

OK so as I contemplate which card/cards I want to app for next month, I wanted to weigh the possible ramifications of new TL's on my average age of accounts.

I found a website, which is a nice tool for calculating it.  

http://aaoacalculator.tumblr.com/

You could also set this up pretty easily on Excelbut I'm lazy :-).  Anyway, my current AAofA is 7.2 years.  Per the calculator, if I were to app for all the cards I'm thinking about (3-4 cards), my AAofA drops to 5.1 years.

My question is:  Is there a big difference in the eyes of lenders between 7 years and 5 years?  In terms of the scoring algorithm, can I expect a significant drop in score by dropping two years of my AAofA?  

I've seen many people on here with pretty limited AAofA (<2 years) with 760 FICO scores, so they do not seem to be hurt by their short histories.  Is there an "optimal" AAofA?  I would be curious to hear from those who have gone on 'app sprees' if they saw significant drop in their scores and/or apprehension from lenders...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: AAofA and Credit Card Apps

AAoA is part of a FICO category that has 15% overall weight.

Payment history and utilization both have weights about twice this.

Individual lenders may use other scoring models or other criteria, and lots of new accounts may shut you out with them, independent of your FICO score.

Message 2 of 4
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: AAofA and Credit Card Apps

@user5387 wrote:

AAoA is part of a FICO category that has 15% overall weight.

Payment history and utilization both have weights about twice this.

Individual lenders may use other scoring models or other criteria, and lots of new accounts may shut you out with them, independent of your FICO score.

As far as scoring, is there an optimal AAofA?  

Message 3 of 4
user5387
Valued Contributor
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.