Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU TL High UTIL Should I delete?

tag
JoJoCal19
Established Member

AU TL High UTIL Should I delete?

So heres the deal. I have an overall extremely high utilization of around 80% that is hurting my Ficos. I am about to pay off my 4 cc's of 1000, 4500, 300, 500 which are all maxed out along with my citicard of $2500 which is closed but maxed. I have an AU TL cc that has a credit limit of 8000 but a balance of 5000. The tradeline is my oldest that is open of 8 years. My question is, would my score go higher by removing the AU TL completely and paying off the other cc's and have a 0-1% util or Keep the AU TL and pay off the other cc's and have a UTIL of 35%? Im thinking my score would be highest with the 0% util but I would be losing my oldest open TL.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: AU TL High UTIL Should I delete?

What is your oldest credit age, and your average credit age, without the AU?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
JoJoCal19
Established Member

My oldest one would be like 6 years but its closed. My oldest open one would be no more than 3 years.
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The history on closed accounts shows for 10 years from the date of closing, so you will continue to have that. Closing the AU card would drop your oldest account from 8 years down to 6, and your average account age will drop some too, but I don't know by how much. (Don't know the opening dates of your other cards.)

You will absolutely be helped by knocking down your own util and removing the AU util, but I can't tell you if the loss of age would cancel out the benefit of eliminating that high util.

Anyone else with educated guesses on the affect of dropping the oldest account age from 8 years to 6?

JoJoCal, do you have any other credit, open or closed, besides CC's that shows on your reports? Loans, including mortgages, etc. When figuring out age, FICO doesn't look at what type of credit it is, just if it's there.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
JoJoCal19
Established Member

Thanks Hauling,

I double checked. I have a open installment account that is actually over 7 years old so if I do delete the 8 year old AU account then I will have a current account that is almost as old.

I do have other open installment loans (student loans) from 1-5 years old.

I have revolving accounts that are about 2 years old.

Im just trying to determine whether its better to have 0-1% utilization or keep the 8 year old AU account and have 35% utilization. 

Whichever would help my scores the most is the way I will go of course. I know no one will know for sure but does anyone have an idea?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.