Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZEO and ... nuthin'

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

AZEO and ... nuthin'

Hmmm.  My Citi card reported $0 today (down from $310/8K), which means that I now have one card reporting a $10 balance (on a $14K CL), and the rest  reporting zero.  And ... nuthin'.  Nada.  Niente.  Rien.  Nicht.  SFA.

Where's my friendly AZEO boost?  Smiley Frustrated

Gonna go make coffee.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: AZEO and ... nuthin'

Not every profile gets a score boost from going from 2 cards with balance to 1.
For example, I have 10 cards and my scores are the same if 1,2 or 3 cards report a balance.
How many cards do you have?
Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the boost occurs if you have less than 50% of your cards reporting a balance, not if only one card. Thats why the recommendation is "three cards, one reporting". My understanding is that you get dinged if you have no cards report a balance and if you have more than 50% of your cards report a balance -> thats why your score gets a boost if you have only one out of three cards reporting. If you have 5 cards, it shouldnt make a difference if you have one or two cards reporting.

Message 3 of 35
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Before I opened this thread,  I was imagining the angels from heaven descending upon you after nailing the AZEO. lol

Get me a cup while you're out.

Message 4 of 35
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@dragontears wrote:
Not every profile gets a score boost from going from 2 cards with balance to 1.
For example, I have 10 cards and my scores are the same if 1,2 or 3 cards report a balance.
How many cards do you have?

Six cards reporting (I have a 7th, Amex, which is new and, I've read, slow to first report).

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the boost occurs if you have less than 50% of your cards reporting a balance, not if only one card. ..

Given the score fluctuations I've seen recently, I'm thinking that the threshold may be no more than 1 in 3 (which would also account for the behavior dragontears has observed).  That said, I also recall being dinged when a card that had been dormant for a year or more reported a balance.

@Gmood1 wrote:

Before I opened this thread,  I was imagining the angels from heaven descending upon you after nailing the AZEO. lol

Get me a cup while you're out.

Out?  The beans, roasted locally, are ground in my kitchen, lovingly, by hand, then placed in the French press carafe to await water just off the boil.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 5 of 35
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I meant out of the forum. 😂
That sounds like terrific coffee!🤤
Message 6 of 35
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

wrote:

Hmmm.  My Citi card reported $0 today (down from $310/8K), which means that I now have one card reporting a $10 balance (on a $14K CL), and the rest  reporting zero.  And ... nuthin'.  Nada.  Niente.  Rien.  Nicht.  SFA.

Where's my friendly AZEO boost?  Smiley Frustrated

Gonna go make coffee.

It's not in FICO 8 that you would see an important difference, if you had let's say 10 credit cards, and 1 reported a balance as opposed to 3 reporting a balance. It's in the mortgage scores that you would see the biggest difference, if I am not mistaken.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 35
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The idea behind AZEO is that it's safe and that there are no surprises. Most people have some leeway and can get the same score while falling a bit short of AZEO.

I'd suggest doing "true" AZEO to get started, just as you did. After that, see what happens with another card reporting a small balance, increasing your utilization, etc. That'll allow you to come up with a plan to optimize or mostly optimize your FICO8s without a lot of inconvenience. Of course, if you're not monitoring scores other than FICO8 and an important credit app is coming up, you should go back to "true" AZEO again.

Only one of my three FICO8 scores gets dinged if I let two cards of six report small positive balances instead of one. Back when I had seven and/or eight cards, I could let three cut with positive balances without affecting my score on those two bureaus.

Message 8 of 35
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

The idea behind AZEO is that it's safe and that there are no surprises. Most people have some leeway and can get the same score while falling a bit short of AZEO.

I'd suggest doing "true" AZEO to get started, just as you did. After that, see what happens with another card reporting a small balance, increasing your utilization, etc. That'll allow you to come up with a plan to optimize or mostly optimize your FICO8s without a lot of inconvenience. Of course, if you're not monitoring scores other than FICO8 and an important credit app is coming up, you should go back to "true" AZEO again.

Only one of my three FICO8 scores gets dinged if I let two cards of six report small positive balances instead of one. Back when I had seven and/or eight cards, I could let three cut with positive balances without affecting my score on those two bureaus.

Well, in fact, I'm gonna see what happens when that nominal $10 (fraction of a percent) jumps to 35%, 'cause it's my BT card, and that's what's gonna happen next month.  Month after that, I anticipate that I'll have it below 28.9 (or whatever that threshold is), and continue to see it decrease to zero over the next 4-8 months (well before the 0% rate expires in 14 months).

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

The full acronym isn't AZEO actually, it's AZEOTOTNOCMOBIOTNASC.  It's just too freaking long to type!

(All Zero Except One Third Of Total Number Of Cards Minus One But If One Then Not A Store Card).

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.