Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to pay off 100k in credit card debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: About to pay off 100k in credit card debt

@Anonymous wrote:
I had Amex card since I was a teenager (20 years), as only credit card. Got the CSP in Jan 2015, then 2 days later had a returned Amex payment and they cancelled card. Then I had to apply for a bunch of cards to get the no limit I was used to but then didn't pay them in full each month as I was used to doing with Amex. Got Amex reinstated 5 months later (with 1 30 day late report). Oddly they sent me 2 Amex cards both dated to when I opened platinum Acct in 2006. I've been paying off the other cards/maxing them out/making min payments, etc ever since as Amex keeps me on a tighter leash with my reinstated cards and I've been in interest hell ever since.
I'm not sure this answers the question 20k on CSP/Res, usual monthly Amex (it's actually about 27 now bc I'm a statement behind) , freedom 7500, 2 cap 1 cards combined 15k, discover 13k, Amazon 1500, and a store card that I owe 1500, and few random things . The second I pay Amex it will hit 15k again bc I'm behind on actual life payments I usually use Amex for so I will have to make a mid month payment to keep using the card after I pay the card so I'm to include that- so Amex 40k ish. Ugh...

People can best help you if you give us the info I asked for in my first post.  I'll recap what I asked for originally in blue below:

Each credit card, its credit limit, and its current balance (as they appear on your credit reports)

* If you have a bunch of credit cards that are all $0 balance cards, you can just tell us the number of $0 balance cards and your total/combined credit limit from them... no need to list each one.

Your AAoA (average age of accounts)

Your Age of oldest account

Your three FICO 8 scores now

The exact nature of those two late payments (30-day lates?  60-day?  90-day?)

If you do not know for sure how to get all that, google Credit Check Total and sign up for their $1 free trial.

You add as a postscript:

"Also, no mortgage or anything. Own home in full."

I notice that you say "or anything."  That may mean "or any other kind of installment loan" (car loan, student loan, personal loan, finance company account, etc.).  Is that what you mean?  If so, we can suggest a great and extremely cheap way to add 30 points or so to your score.

Give us an update with the info I mention above and we'll be able to tell you a lot more. 

In your last post you do tell us some of your accounts, but you don't tell us their credit limits.  (I think the numbers you give us are the amounts you owe, but I can't be sure.)  You also indicate that you have some other accounts which you call "a few random things" -- but aside from that you don't mention what they might be.  You also do not mention whether you have (or will soon have) any open installment loans.  Finally, you don't resolve our confusion about whether you plan to close many of your credit cards.

You don't have to tell us all of that of course.  In that case, we can't help you beyond saying the general stuff you probably already know, i.e:

*  Yup, sure is great that you are paying off your credit cards.  That will be good.

*  Figure out how you got into a pattern of (a) running up lots of debt and (b) making many payments after the due date. 

*  Then figure out a plan to make sure that never happens again.  The plan should include a failsafe way to never ever be late on any account, to always pay all of your cards in full, and to save a good chunk of money every month so that you have plenty of cash on reserve in case any emergency ever happens.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not closing. Just paying off and don't plan to use. I just don't want the lines closed on me bc that will look bad also and these are all cards I opened within the past year so we don't have any relationship.
Message 22 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not closing. Just paying off and don't plan to use. I just don't want the lines closed on me bc that will look bad also and these are all cards I opened within the past year so we don't have any relationship.

That would be fine.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to know that you don't plan to close your cards.

Great that you are paying off all your debt.  Nobody can tell you much more than that, but it's certainly good and you'll certainly see a substantial score increase within 40 days of doing that.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.