Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account duplication

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account duplication

I've had a cc account with a lender for over 23 years(exact year unknown as no longer listed on report).  Over the years the account was purchased by another lender, then later again bought by another lender.  This is a result of the Macy buyout of Marshall Fields.  The three accounts, all originating from one, are shown seperately on my fico report. 

(1) Is this account duplication???
(2) Should they get counted seperately, increasing the number of overall accounts, closed or opened?

As far as I can tell, this is counted against a higher FICO score, more negatives. 

Any suggestions on alleviating the mess?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Neblett
Regular Contributor

Re: Account duplication

Someone please answer this one!  Because I'm in the same boat and would love to know if I can legitimately have the CRA delete a TL because it is a duplicate account.
Message 2 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

There is nothing illegal here.. but the impact depends on whether or not accts are showing as opened\closed, balances, CL???

Of the three... only one should be open with a balance being reported (assuming you have a balance).

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, the accts are listed as paid and in the closed/inactive section of the FICO report.  However there are several others listed in the open section that are also paid and finalized. 

As you have stated before, the type of acct matters when they are determining your score.  If so, and several accts are not listed as installments, when they should have been, and are listed as "other", would you say that this could be blocking a better score?

Are these two areas those I need to have corrected in improving my score?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had a similiar situation recently with Parisian which has been bought by Belks and somewhere was owned by Saks...Reporting the same account number but all 3.  Parisian-nka Belks told me to write FCRA in Texas to correct it on Transunion.  Not really sure why they said do that.

Have similar problem with 2nd Mortgage as well.  Transunion is counting my 2nd mortgage as a HELOC which is considered revolving...but its actually a fixed loan.  I submitted documents to Transunion but of course they didn't accept them....So Experian has it as fixed and Transunion has it as Revolving...

Not sure how that works when you pull a 3 in 1 ...but would be interested if someone knows how that works...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.