cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts not reported included in utilization?

tag
emily15
Regular Contributor

Accounts not reported included in utilization?

Hi,

I have some cards I have not used in over a year and it looks like they are not reporting, my question is if these limits are still included in overall utilization or not?
T.I.A!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accounts not reported included in utilization?

If they are no longer reporting to the bureaus, they will not help in utilization. If they are reporting, and are still open, they should be included. Finally, if they are still reporting on the bureaus but are closed, then they will no longer help in the utilization. 

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emily15 wrote:
Hi,

I have some cards I have not used in over a year and it looks like they are not reporting, my question is if these limits are still included in overall utilization or not?
T.I.A!

I'd like to add if they are open and you would like for them to report, file a dispute for those accounts that they are not reporting or reporting correctly...just my 2 cents..good luck!!

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@emily15 wrote:
Hi,

T.I.A!

I'd like to add if they are open and you would like for them to report, file a dispute for those accounts that they are not reporting or reporting correctly...just my 2 cents..good luck!!

What is the basis of the dispute? Maybe if the OP does that it will agitate the creditor into closing the accounts by grantor for non use. Why poke the bear?

OP, charge a few dollars every couple of months on the card(s) and they will start reporting.

A creditor does not have to report. They only have to report accuracy. If the OP isn't using the card, what should they report?

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emily15 wrote:
Hi,

T.I.A!

The answer is YES if they are open accounts.

Message 5 of 17
emily15
Regular Contributor

They are open, not reporting. Just wondering if they are included in uti. I don't need to dispute anything. Thanks !
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emily15 wrote:
They are open, not reporting. Just wondering if they are included in uti. I don't need to dispute anything. Thanks !

They are included.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bad. I in the past had open accounts not reporting and filed a dispute because I did want them included in my utilization. After I filed the dispute, they have since been reporting. Two of the three of them I had not been using for about 2months or so. Did not mean to give misleading information, just speaking from my experience. I am really glad that there are others here on this wonderful forum that can give better direction on certain issues. Thanks Donny and sorry Emily...and on we go...Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My bad. I in the past had open accounts not reporting and filed a dispute because I did want them included in my utilization. After I filed the dispute, they have since been reporting. Two of the three of them I had not been using for about 2months or so. Did not mean to give misleading information, just speaking from my experience. I am really glad that there are others here on this wonderful forum that can give better direction on certain issues. Thanks Donny and sorry Emily...and on we go...Smiley Happy

No worries, I've done the same thing.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When our OP (Emily) says that they are not reporting, she may mean one of two things:

(1)  The accounts are not appearing on her reports

(2)  The accounts do appear, but they are not being updated each month by the creditor.  In fact they have not been updated for several months.

People use the verb "report" in both ways. 

If Emily means #1, then the accounts are not being figured into utilization, since an account has to be on one's report to affect one's score. 

If she means #2, then if the card is listed as open it is counted into utilization; if it is listed as closed it is not counted.

Does that sound right, everybody?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.