Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts reporting after bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accounts reporting after bankruptcy

This is a great forum.  I've been a mortgage lender for 13 years, and like most of my peers, have existed in a foggy state of comprehension of how credit scores work.  I think most of us understand the basics, but when the mortgage industry lives or dies by credit scores, we are usually inept at really understanding how individual events affect scoring.  With that being said...

My customers filed ch7 BK in 2003.  A recent credit pull revealed numerous accounts still reporting balances that were included in the BK, including some that reported activity after the BK (one of which continued to report monthly lates!).  They contacted the 3 bureaus, and 2 of them have updated the balances to zero.

Some of these accounts show DLA after the BK - can they legally do this?  Also, these updated accounts now show Date Reported as 03/07 - does this adversely affect credit scores?  Their scores have dropped about 50 points since 01/07, but they have also recently paid some medical collections off, which has not helped.  Why paying off a collection will lower credit scores amazes me.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Thanks for any advice!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accounts reporting after bankruptcy

I also filled bankruptcy in 2003 due to leukemia. A few weeks ago I checked my credit reports and there 11 claims that were still on them that were inaccurate. All of these claims were before the bankruptcy and included in it. There was also a claim from a car I had lost in the bankruptcy on my report and my wife's. Bottom line, It seems to me like the reporting agencies just keep a data base and have no real interest in whether the information is true. That responsibility falls solely on the individual.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accounts reporting after bankruptcy

If the accounts were inclluded in bankruptcy you should be able to update those DLA.  However if your clients were still using the accounts after filing they couldn't reallyu be inculded in the BK.  All accounts included in BK must reflect a 0 balance.  The FCRA states that if a creditor refuses to report an item correctly you can dispute to have it removed based on the fact of incorrect reporting.

HTH
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.