Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts with balances and their impact on scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Accounts with balances and their impact on scores

Currently I have about 1-2% utilization on all of my credit cards, but on the myFico scores i have, it says that the accounts with balances (this includes my wife's cards on which I am an AU) is 11 and that it is negatively impacting my score.  All balances are under 3% (including wife's cc's).

Should I pay some of them down to 0 to get a bump in score? Will it bump?  We are getting ready to purchase a house, and every point counts right now.

Thanks for any help offered.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Accounts with balances and their impact on scores

If you're buying the house in both your names, so that the lenders will be looking at both sets of credit, I would definitely pay all but one CC account off to zero. This will minimize util AND the number of accounts with balances.

Having multiple installment accounts can be a pain, as you are seeing, because they automatically have balances while they are open, so you "need" lots of CC accounts with $0 balances to counter them.

Be sure to always have one or two CC's with minimal balances though ($10-20.) I experimented with letting all three report all CC's at $0, and my scores fell 2-6 points. Not huge for me, but it can be a lot worse for others, and you don't want to rock the boat at mortgage time.

Good luck on the mortgage!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jackg
Established Contributor

Why not have your wife remove you as an AU on her account?
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

adding me as an AU bumped my scores signigicantly.  she has perfect (>750) credit and clean payments on the cards that i am an AU.  Those cards, as mentioned, have about a 1% utilization.  I am just wondering if I would get a bump if I paid off my three cc's down to zero or if it wouldn't matter since they are at 1% util.

i believe the 11 accounts with balances include my installment loans (5 student loans, car loan)

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you're buying the house in both your names, so that the lenders will be looking at both sets of credit, I would definitely pay all but one CC account off to zero. This will minimize util AND the number of accounts with balances.

Having multiple installment accounts can be a pain, as you are seeing, because they automatically have balances while they are open, so you "need" lots of CC accounts with $0 balances to counter them.

Be sure to always have one or two CC's with minimal balances though ($10-20.) I experimented with letting all three report all CC's at $0, and my scores fell 2-6 points. Not huge for me, but it can be a lot worse for others, and you don't want to rock the boat at mortgage time.

Good luck on the mortgage!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  i think I will have my wife leave the small balances on her cards, and I will pay mine to zero to see if that helps.  I am hovering just under 700 (675) and want to break that plane before we apply for the loan.  Plus, the mortgage broker we are using said that a 700 score is required for an 80, 10, 10 loan which we are seeking...

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You're welcome!

But unless you have time to experiment, I would advise that both of you have all cards except one (and it can be a shared AU card) report $0. Even though util is the easiest factor in FICO scoring to control, it still takes a while for changes to post.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.