Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy of MyFico Scores?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Accuracy of MyFico Scores?

@pauljokane wrote:

Very disappointing in myfico.  These are not the scores mortgage lenders use.  "myfico" mid range is 658 and the mortgage company just reported that the fico they received is 591.  Why am I monitoring an inaccurate score.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

The scoring world can indeed be a confusing place. Many lenders use FICO scores geared specifically for their industry.

Mortgage lenders will look at past mortgage history; lenders of auto loans want to know how a person handled other car loans they've had.

Credit card companies use a score that tries to measure future risk for them.

Here are a couple of threads that might be useful in further understanding the puzzle of scores.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Difference-in-Scores/td-p/2384297

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-version...

Message 31 of 44
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an example of myFICO Equifax Fico score being different from my Equifax Fico number direct from Equifax. I purchased the Fico number from the Equifax web site. That number was 600. I then ran my Equifax FICO score on myFICO and it was 576 (ugh).  I did it within 5 minutes of each other.I recently had a balance go down on a CC and wonder if this is just a timing issue. Does myFICO refresh their data on a regular basis? Many thanks!!!

It is confusing, for sure. They are different scoring models. MyFICO here uses the EQ 08 model, but the Equifax FICO that you can purchase from them (make sure it's a FICO and not just their "credit score") is the EQ 04 scoring model. They look at the same information on your credit report, but provide a different result by scoring things differently.

Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for replying. It is definitely not their FAKO score because that is like 30 points higher then the FICO score they gave me. I wish the FAKO's were my real ones. I know many car dealerships use the auto enhanced score but do you happen to know which version of the FICO score typically is used @ Credit Unions for auto loans? Is it the same verison MyFico uses (EQ 08 )? Is there no way of knowing? Thank you SOOOOOO much.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 33 of 44
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Thank you so much for replying. It is definitely not their FAKO score because that is like 30 points higher then the FICO score they gave me. I wish the FAKO's were my real ones. I know many car dealerships use the auto enhanced score but do you happen to know which version of the FICO score typically is used @ Credit Unions for auto loans? Is it the same verison MyFico uses (EQ 08 )? Is there no way of knowing? Thank you SOOOOOO much.  Smiley Frustrated

There really isn't any way of knowing, unless you happen to ask someone there and they a) are willing to share that with you and b) actually know the answer to that question. If you know a specific CU you want to know about, you can probably narrow it down a little bit. For example, DCU pulls EQ. But credit unions as a group pull all three CRAs and many different models.

Message 34 of 44
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@zostar22 wrote:

My experience with the different scores when I was refinancing my house in September 2014 are listed below:  Shows lender score vs. myfico score pulled on same day

Experian- 716 (725 score from myfico website) -9
Transunion- 714 (699 score from myfico website) +15
Equifax- 706 (679-my fico website) -27

Something else to be aware of. Mortgage lenders use a FICO scoring model geared toward that particular type of debt.

So do lenders of car loans and CC issuers.

Auto lending absolutely uses auto-enhanced scores; however, the vast majority of mortgage lending at least for primary scores dictated by the GSE's are still EQ Beacon 5.0, TU Classic 04, EX Risk Model v2... these are still the baseline scores albeit a mortgage is still likely the tradeline equivalent of the 5 star Michelin ranking, is that what you're referring to?

        
Message 35 of 44
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@zostar22 wrote:

My experience with the different scores when I was refinancing my house in September 2014 are listed below:  Shows lender score vs. myfico score pulled on same day

Experian- 716 (725 score from myfico website) -9
Transunion- 714 (699 score from myfico website) +15
Equifax- 706 (679-my fico website) -27

Something else to be aware of. Mortgage lenders use a FICO scoring model geared toward that particular type of debt.

So do lenders of car loans and CC issuers.

Auto lending absolutely uses auto-enhanced scores; however, the vast majority of mortgage lending at least for primary scores dictated by the GSE's are still EQ Beacon 5.0, TU Classic 04, EX Risk Model v2... these are still the baseline scores albeit a mortgage is still likely the tradeline equivalent of the 5 star Michelin ranking, is that what you're referring to?

Yes I understand about the "classic" scores. I agree they are the primary basis for scoring but not the only thing.

All I know is what a former administrator of this site told me; there are scores specifically geared toward mortgages and closely look at the past payment history of an applicant.

Just as auto enhanced scores look at past car loan history.

Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dyn,  I saw your old post and wanted you to know that I too see so much confusion in all of this. I feel it is quite unfair to consumers that we cant se REAL scores! We pay these monthly fees only to be in the dark concerning something that can be so important. I guess there arent any organizations that support us consumers, who can change this.

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all a scam!!!! They collect your money to give you "results" that we think are being utilized by the banks, but the scores are VERY inaccurate. Like another user, I used this website to attempt to monitor my scores and clear up disputed information for refinancing purposes, just do find out...the banks scores were 50-100 points less than what was revealed on MyFICO. A colossal waste of time and money!!!
Message 38 of 44
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jones2929 wrote:

This has been a great resource to use.  I was wondering if anyone knew how accurate the scores on this site are.  I have a 698 for TransUnion and Equifax.  If I apply for a refinancing, they have told me that I need to get to 700.  I think I can do that in a month or so by paying down another credit card fairly significantly.  However, I don't want the bank to pull my scores until I am pretty sure that they are at 700.  How confident can I be a 700 on this site will equal a 700 on something pulled by a lender?  I have 710, 716. 724, and 742 on other sites, but I know those are FAKOs and I really don't have any faith in them (although they are fun to look at and review).

Thanks in advance.

I assume you're talking about a mortgage refinancing.

Mortgage lenders would almost never pull FICO 8 scores, which are the scores that appear on your MyFICO dashboard.

Mortgage lenders usually pull your mortgage scores from all 3 bureaus, take the middle score, and go with that.

In order to find out your current mortgage scores, you need to pull your 3B report  and look at the mortgage score versions.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 39 of 44
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's all a scam!!!! They collect your money to give you "results" that we think are being utilized by the banks, but the scores are VERY inaccurate. Like another user, I used this website to attempt to monitor my scores and clear up disputed information for refinancing purposes, just do find out...the banks scores were 50-100 points less than what was revealed on MyFICO. A colossal waste of time and money!!!

Sorry to hear you are disappointed. Perhaps you didn't read through the thread? It can take some time to absorb the differences in what drives the scores. But it is not a scam, it's just complicated.

If you were using FICO 8 scores, which are the common headline scores discussed here, to "optimize" that would be to optimize for credit card applications.

For refinancing a mortgage, as others noted in this thread a few years ago, and that advice still applies, those score models are different. Those score models are available on the MyFICO 3B quarterly updates, but you have to get past the FICO 8 Headline score to get to the Mortgage scores, and understand what you are seeking.

In general, mortgage score results are tougher (lower scores) than the FICO 8 models.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.