Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a high scorer to my credit card account as an AU

tag
gaugemaker
Established Member

Adding a high scorer to my credit card account as an AU

My partner has an excellent credit score (825). I am in rebuild mode after a 2009 Chapter 13 (discharged 4/2014) and mine is in the high 600s, flirting with 700. I am buying a house and want to add him as an authorized user on a credit card (Barclay Card LL Bean) for house-related purchases. How will this impact his credit score? Thanks in advance!

The card has a $6600 credit line, never late, usually a 0 balance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding a high scorer to my credit card account as an AU

You want to add the 825 scorer to your high 600's/700 score?

That won't help you at all.

It's usually the other way around.  Somebody with good /established credit adds a less established/lower score person to their account(s) in order to show perhaps a higher CL on a  TL, thus helping the less established person with utilization.

And it adds TL"s to the less established if they're having a hard time acquiring new accts.

Message 2 of 6
racer-x
Valued Contributor

After re-reading your OP, it won't hurt him other than lowering his AAoA .  As long as your Barclays is in good standing and very low utilization

Message 3 of 6
gaugemaker
Established Member

Thanks for the fast response. That's really all I wanted to know -- if it would hurt his score much. It's just a household expense thing, not a score building thing.

I'm plugging along with my rebuild and hope to match his big score some day!

Message 4 of 6
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Why doesn't HE put YOU on some of his accts to help your rebuild?  One way trust issues? lol

Message 5 of 6
gaugemaker
Established Member

We are an atypical couple for sure but it's been 15 years so we must be doing something right.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.