Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an installment loan -- the Share Secure technique

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding an installment loan -- the Share Secure technique

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid down to $420 and my first payment went thru on May 15. So i'm down to $71 ish.  I tried to cancel the autopayment today May 16, but it's not allowing me to. It's still showing this

'Your loan is currently set up for automatic payment. If you wish to change or cancel the automatic payment, please call us at 800-328-1935 for assistance (Hours: Mon-Fri 7am-7pm CST).'

What should I do???

Do you mean that your first payment was made a while back, but your first auto-payment went through on May 15?

Message 1061 of 1,921
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. The first payment of $420 was made on may 5th. I could not cancel the first auto payment so I waited for it to go through on May 15. But I kept checking and I still cannot cancel it online. 

Should I call? Or wait a few days?

Message 1062 of 1,921
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. The first payment of $420 was made on may 5th. I could not cancel the first auto payment so I waited for it to go through on May 15. But I kept checking and I still cannot cancel it online. 

Should I call? Or wait a few days?

I think you should wait a few days. Does it show the next payment in 2021?

Message 1063 of 1,921
Subexistence
Established Contributor

I'm back. The SSL loan reported last month and it dropped my Ex from 708 to 703. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I now have installment loan reporting and like 20% utilization for installment loans.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1064 of 1,921
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you already have open installment loans, the SSL won't do much for you. Your score dropped due to a new account or AAoA dropping.
Message 1065 of 1,921
newhis
Valued Contributor

The SSL technique will only work if you don't have any other open loan. If you have 1 or more open loans, it will not help when it reports.

Some people use the SSL technique with 1 open loan, that they know they will pay it off in a few months, this way they avoid the score drop that will happen when the only 1 open loan report $0 balance and closed.

Message 1066 of 1,921
Subexistence
Established Contributor

I get Ex08 from creditscorecard.com and creditscore.com. Alliant reported on May 5th 2017 and my scorecard reports my profile from May 3rd 2017 while creditscore reports it on May 8th 2017. Therefore my scorecard has my score before the loan reported and creditscore has my score after the loan reported. 

Here is a preview of my scorecard.

Capturerevolve.PNGCaptureshort.PNG

Here is a preview of creditscore.com

Captureinstallment.PNG

So I do believe that alliant is the only installment loan I have. 

In any case my score on creditscorecard is 708 while my score on creditscore is 703. I don't know if I got point benefit from installment loan but it was negated by AAoA or I just didn't get any benefit at all.

History of my credit
Message 1067 of 1,921
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure to also let ONE of your credit cards report a small balance at statement (9% or less, but not 0% on that ONE credit card).  This will give you a nice FICO boost for the month that ONE credit card reports LESS THAN 9% but not zero.

Message 1068 of 1,921
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Make sure to also let ONE of your credit cards report a small balance at statement (9% or less, but not 0% on that ONE credit card).  This will give you a nice FICO boost for the month that ONE credit card reports LESS THAN 9% but not zero.

The 0% resulted from an 'accident' last month because my friends wanted me to book a hotel with my discover because it had a deal. Long story short, they had to get hotel refund very close to my statement closing date. I spent only $400 on my Disco that month for their hotel and I got refunded $400 right before my statement closed. I ended up with 0% utilization which dropped my score from EX from 724 to 708. After alliant reported, it went further down to 703. In any case, I spent $20 on terrapin express using discover yesterday and once it posts, I'm request disco send an off-cycle report. If having it report 0% this month not only caused drop from 724 to 708, but also negated beneft of SSL, then once I get my off cycle report in, My score should rise by 40-50 points from both increasing the credit utiilization and installment loan benefit.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-many-BBR-cards-to-apply-for/m-p/4953997/highlight/false#M1447867

History of my credit
Message 1069 of 1,921
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:
[04-25-2017 11:08 AM]

Ugh still no email nor phone call. I would call today but I got Stat exam tommorrow. I have Calc quiz the day after so I'll have to wait until my quiz is over with before I call. I never recieved any call for opening my savings account and it took ridiculously long for my $510 to appear so I must be very low on the priority list. Anyone else had to deal with neglect before?

@Subexistence wrote:

I get Ex08 from creditscorecard.com and creditscore.com. Alliant reported on May 5th 2017 and my scorecard reports my profile from May 3rd 2017 while creditscore reports it on May 8th 2017. Therefore my scorecard has my score before the loan reported and creditscore has my score after the loan reported. 

So I do believe that alliant is the only installment loan I have. 

In any case my score on creditscorecard is 708 while my score on creditscore is 703. I don't know if I got point benefit from installment loan but it was negated by AAoA or I just didn't get any benefit at all.

Based on the timing of your previous posts, I'm guessing you haven't actually had your first due-date or statement yet (something about a minimum of 30 days before the first payment can be required).  You're presumably in a similar boat as I am.  The account has begun to report its existence, but payment history isnt really there yet, so the scoring effect is incomplete.

Message 1070 of 1,921
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.