Adding an installment loan -- the Share Secure technique

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Adding an installment loan -- the Share Secure technique

@Bigshrimp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bigshrimp wrote:

Not sure if one of my ealier post slip throught the cracks but what kind of game plan did you have in mind so I can ensure profile is set up to gather data points for the Fico 9 scoring...The Baddies fell off of TU so all three scores are right at or above 800(fico9). Or what other info you may need from me to get started?

Thanks so much for circling back with me on this, pal!  Some questions:

What kind of credit monitoring package do you have with myFICO?  The $30/month package gives you your report and scores every 90 days.  The $40/month package gives them to you every 30 days.

If you are on the more limited $30 package currently, would you be willing to upgrade to the $40 package while you are testing?

When did you last get your 3B report from myFICO.  Date?

My understanding is that you are currently on Step 1 of the guidance -- you are just opening up the initial savings account.  You have not, however, applied for the loan yet.  Is that right?  (I am hoping the answer is that you are in Step 1.)

Do you have your credit profile the way you want it prior to testing yet?  E.g. one card with a $20 balance, all other cards reporting $0, all baddies gone, etc.  Have you confirmed this with a separate tool like credit Karma?  Karma is nice to use while you are making changes to your profile because you can pull your data as often as once a week.

Yes, Currently still on step 1.

Yes I do currently have the $30 plan...I would be willing to upgrade to the $40 monthly plan.. My next schedule 3B report is the 21st, but was going to wait until last card reports around the 21st-23rd, then pull..  At this time I should have 3 cards at 0, and one reporting about $20 and should have reports where I need them to start...

My last full 3B pull was in Sept 21st, I did pull 1B on EQ last month and 1B on TU over this past weekend...

I do have CK as well, so was nice to see a 45 point jump this past week when baddies fell off...Thats was a long 7 years,,,Still have 1 PIF medical on reports but for fico 9 and VS3 scoring not an issue...

Other notes for possible timing calculations..My oldest account, although close, will age to 11 years in Jan..Also credit cards #2 and #3 turn 2 years old in March and if I did my math right AAoA is currently 43 months, so in Jan with new account will put me at 36 months so looks like it would not drop below the 3 year mark...

I hate to tell you this but if your oldest account is closed, it's going to be dropped from your reports some day.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 611 of 1,921
Bigshrimp
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

On what day in January will your oldest account turn 11?

January 9th...

Starting Scores 9/21/15 EQ-644 TU-651 EX-642
Current Scores 11/20/16 EQ-691 TU-668 EX-665
Message 612 of 1,921
Bigshrimp
Valued Member

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I hate to tell you this but if your oldest account is closed, it's going to be dropped from your reports some day.

Unfortunately, I have come to the realization that one day it will be gone...I still have about a year and few months that I can try and benifit from it to helping my rebuild easier then starting from scratch as a lot of ppl i see on here...I see ppl ask about what kind of scores do I need for certain cards, say for instance Chase and from all the responses I see im thinking to myself I should have never been approved for a Chase card when I did with my Fico 8 scores as low as they where at the time...

It is my only installment account hence the reason I doing the SSL technique...The reason for letting CGID know these points so that we can make sure data points can be collected as accuratly as possible...If I need to skip a month or few days to see how something reacts for Fico 9 scoring

I have an 15 year closed AU account on EX, guess this is helping my bankscore 2 be about 60 points higher then EX fico 8...Doesnt look to help me at all with Fico 8 scoring at all... But it will fall off later next year so this concerns me as well...But hoping that It will not hurt me to much when it comes off...

If I knew 20 years ago what I know now I would have kept open a few ot the cards I had in the past...After my divorce about 11-12 years ago I went so long without using any credit so I basically payed my Child support and did what I could to get by day by day...From what I'v learn from this site I have helped my mom go from BK 2 years ago to closing on her first ever home in a few weeks ...

I always thought that you pay your bills ontime and obtain credit when you needed it...But I didnt know that you have to have credit to obtain more credit so to speak...

Im not an apper so I look at slow and steady approach...Only reason I started rebuilding credit over 2 years ago was to purchase a home...Outside of that if I didnt have cash in hand I did with out...

Message 613 of 1,921
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bigshrimp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

January 9th...

OK.  Here's what I would do then, if I were you, and in this order:

(1)  Keep working on setting up your savings account with Alliant and getting it funded.

(2)  Do not pull your 3B report during December.  Instead, wait until Jan 12.  By that point your age of oldest account will have crossed over into being > 11.000.  That may not make a difference to your score, but it very well might.  Age of Oldest Account is one of the three factors that are used in scorecard assignment.  If somehow you are about to be swtiched to a new scorecard, it would miss up the value of the testing data.

(3)  In early January (e.g. Jan 4-5) apply for your SS loan with Alliant.  Alliant will not actually report your loan until Jan 31, even if it is approved by mid-Jan.  This way you will have plenty of time to get your loan paid down to under 9% by Jan 25.

(4)  On Jan 12, contact myFICO and tell them you want to upgrade your package to the $40 version.  Then when it is upgraded, pull all your scores.  This will be the BEFORE snapshot.

(5)  On Feb 9, use Credit Karma to pull your reports to confirm that the Alliant loan is reporting with the new ultralow balance.

(6)  On Feb 12 pull your scores again with myFICO.  This is the AFTER snapshot.

What do you think?

If I understand you right there will be no confounding variables during the 30 days between the two snapshots -- just the Alliant loan. 

Message 614 of 1,921
Bigshrimp
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bigshrimp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

January 9th...

OK.  Here's what I would do then, if I were you, and in this order:

(1)  Keep working on setting up your savings account with Alliant and getting it funded.

(2)  Do not pull your 3B report during December.  Instead, wait until Jan 12.  By that point your age of oldest account will have crossed over into being > 11.000.  That may not make a difference to your score, but it very well might.  Age of Oldest Account is one of the three factors that are used in scorecard assignment.  If somehow you are about to be swtiched to a new scorecard, it would miss up the value of the testing data.

(3)  In early January (e.g. Jan 4-5) apply for your SS loan with Alliant.  Alliant will not actually report your loan until Jan 31, even if it is approved by mid-Jan.  This way you will have plenty of time to get your loan paid down to under 9% by Jan 25.

(4)  On Jan 12, contact myFICO and tell them you want to upgrade your package to the $40 version.  Then when it is upgraded, pull all your scores.  This will be the BEFORE snapshot.

(5)  On Feb 9, use Credit Karma to pull your reports to confirm that the Alliant loan is reporting with the new ultralow balance.

(6)  On Feb 12 pull your scores again with myFICO.  This is the AFTER snapshot.

What do you think?

If I understand you right there will be no confounding variables during the 30 days between the two snapshots -- just the Alliant loan. 

Sounds like a game plan...I just got the email saying  welcome to the Alliant family a few hours ago...

You are correct once again that there should not be any other variables during the 30 days between...

I just want to say that I'v read thousands of post over the past few months and I love the way you decipher other ppls post and come up with a fairly accurate assumption of what they are trying to say and break it down for easier reading...not sure how you do it, but I love it...

Message 615 of 1,921
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks man.  That really made my day.  You're the best.

Message 616 of 1,921
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Bigshrimp wrote:

I just want to say that I'v read thousands of post over the past few months and I love the way you decipher other ppls post and come up with a fairly accurate assumption of what they are trying to say and break it down for easier reading...not sure how you do it, but I love it...

+1

I have never read so many great responses anywhere else. CreditGuyInDixie does want to understand and clearly respond all posts. The amount of time he puts into answering and all the details, just wonderful.

Message 617 of 1,921
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read this entire thread beginning to end and decided I like this plan. It's inexpensive and easy to maintain. I already have a 1 year credit builder loan with my local Credit Union but it's near 100% utilization because it's new. I called my Credit Union's corporate number to inquire about the terms of my loan. The lady was very condescending. She told me that I cannot deviate from the agreed upon terms. No modifications, no alterations, no adjustments PERIOD! She also reminded me that they have a signed contract. Because of that, I got an account with Alliant. I haven't set up the loan yet. Still waiting on the account verification to fund it.

I read over my Credit Union's contract. The auto pay terms are listed in there but where it says "I agree to pay" only the total loan amount plus interest and a final due date is listed there. Just for giggles, I went onto my Credit Union's online banking site and threw $250 at my $500 installment loan. It took the $250 as a payment for this month and my next due date is next month. Lame. This plan obviously doesn't work with everybody. 

So, I'd like to get the Alliant SS loan but what should I do with the Credit Union loan? Pay it off? Let it age? Does it matter? I'd like to get a mortgage in 6-7 months and that's right about the time the Credit Union loan would be paid off via auto pay. Would I see any benefit at all from the Alliant loan if I go straight from my Credit Union loan to a mortgage? My fear is that once the Credit Union loan is paid off and I don't have any other installment loan for the "mix" points, my score will drop just in time for a credit pull for a mortgage. What do you guys think?

Message 618 of 1,921
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I read this entire thread beginning to end and decided I like this plan. It's inexpensive and easy to maintain. I already have a 1 year credit builder loan with my local Credit Union but it's near 100% utilization because it's new. I called my Credit Union's corporate number to inquire about the terms of my loan. The lady was very condescending. She told me that I cannot deviate from the agreed upon terms. No modifications, no alterations, no adjustments PERIOD! She also reminded me that they have a signed contract. Because of that, I got an account with Alliant. I haven't set up the loan yet. Still waiting on the account verification to fund it.

I read over my Credit Union's contract. The auto pay terms are listed in there but where it says "I agree to pay" only the total loan amount plus interest and a final due date is listed there. Just for giggles, I went onto my Credit Union's online banking site and threw $250 at my $500 installment loan. It took the $250 as a payment for this month and my next due date is next month. Lame. This plan obviously doesn't work with everybody. 

So, I'd like to get the Alliant SS loan but what should I do with the Credit Union loan? Pay it off? Let it age? Does it matter?

My suggestion would be:

1. Pay $205, so you'll be down in the $45 balance range.

2. Then wait and see how it reports.

3. If it reports that it's got a $45 balance, then you're good. Just let it be, paying the minimum amount due each month.

It's better for this account to be open than paid off, until you've got your Alliant SSL in place and reporting 9%.

I'd like to get a mortgage in 6-7 months and that's right about the time the Credit Union loan would be paid off via auto pay. Would I see any benefit at all from the Alliant loan if I go straight from my Credit Union loan to a mortgage? My fear is that once the Credit Union loan is paid off and I don't have any other installment loan for the "mix" points, my score will drop just in time for a credit pull for a mortgage. What do you guys think?

I think you should still get the Alliant loan, since it's more dependable. Also it will help your score after the mortgage.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 619 of 1,921
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I'd like to get the Alliant SS loan but what should I do with the Credit Union loan? Pay it off? Let it age? Does it matter?

My suggestion would be:

1. Pay $205, so you'll be down in the $45 balance range.

2. Then wait and see how it reports.

3. If it reports that it's got a $45 balance, then you're good. Just let it be, paying the minimum amount due each month.

It's better for this account to be open than paid off, until you've got your Alliant SSL in place and reporting 9%.

I'd like to get a mortgage in 6-7 months and that's right about the time the Credit Union loan would be paid off via auto pay. Would I see any benefit at all from the Alliant loan if I go straight from my Credit Union loan to a mortgage? My fear is that once the Credit Union loan is paid off and I don't have any other installment loan for the "mix" points, my score will drop just in time for a credit pull for a mortgage. What do you guys think?

I think you should still get the Alliant loan, since it's more dependable. Also it will help your score after the mortgage.

Unfortunately, if I pay my existing loan down that far, it would only last 2 months. The payment on it is locked at $42. I'll get the Alliant loan and let the CU loan ride for a little while. 6 months of on-time payments can only do me good. I've been thinking about getting rid of this CU anyway. Once I get that mortgage, they won't be the local CU anymore since I'm going out of state.

Message 620 of 1,921
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.