Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding as an authorized user lowered credit score

tag
python0704
New Contributor

Adding as an authorized user lowered credit score

My wife had a TU 803 in Jan, then she got a Discover it with $2.5K then TU is 801 in Feb, then I add her to my Amex BCE as AU and her TU dropped to 755 in Mar. My Amex BCE has $35K CL and her cards total CL was $11K so I would expect her TU to go up despite adding a new account. Both of us always PIF and Utl<10%. Any thought of this? My only guess is too frequent new account in short time? I hope it can go back to 800+ soon.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding as an authorized user lowered credit score

@python0704 wrote:

My wife had a TU 803 in Jan, then she got a Discover it with $2.5K then TU is 801 in Feb, then I add her to my Amex BCE as AU and her TU dropped to 755 in Mar. My Amex BCE has $35K CL and her cards total CL was $11K so I would expect her TU to go up despite adding a new account. Both of us always PIF and Utl<10%. Any thought of this? My only guess is too frequent new account in short time? I hope it can go back to 800+ soon.

First question: Where are you getting your scores from?

Second question: What is the age of your amex? It should affect her count from the age of your card, I don't believe it reports as of the date she is added to it.

Third question: Do you know her AAOA?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 7
python0704
New Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@python0704 wrote:

First question: Where are you getting your scores from?

Second question: What is the age of your amex? It should affect her count from the age of your card, I don't believe it reports as of the date she is added to it.

Third question: Do you know her AAOA?

The scores are from BOA.

Amex age is 1 year 10 months.

Her AAOA is 1 year 3 months including the new discove it.

I checked her TU report and found there is another name on the report, just one letter difference with her name. I checked all her accounts and all lender has correct name on file. And early this year I checked her EQ report and the name is correct. So I immediately filed a dispute for her. I wonder if this error lowered her score.

Message 3 of 7
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Amex starts reporting an AU as of the date the AU was added. So she didn't get the past history of the card.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
Amex starts reporting an AU as of the date the AU was added. So she didn't get the past history of the card.

Depends on the CB. 

Message 5 of 7
newhis
Valued Contributor

@python0704 wrote:

Score drop for HP then for new account.

My guess is Jan TU 803 no new account no new HP. Then in Feb maybe the drop was for the HP or balance change. Now in March the new account (at least Discover) show up and the drop was for new account and lower AAoA.

Is the Amex BCE showing on her TU report yet?

Message 6 of 7
python0704
New Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@python0704 wrote:

Score drop for HP then for new account.

My guess is Jan TU 803 no new account no new HP. Then in Feb maybe the drop was for the HP or balance change. Now in March the new account (at least Discover) show up and the drop was for new account and lower AAoA.

Is the Amex BCE showing on her TU report yet?

Not as of last week, will keep an eye on it in the next statement.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.