Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address Change

tag
bed
Valued Member

Address Change

So, I got an alert about a new address from Experian, which the following description:

"While an address change will not affect the FICO® Score, it is very important that your credit report lists your correct, current address."

The thing is, this alert shows a drop in my Experian FICO score by three points. I had no other changes to my Experian report on this day, so I can't imagine the change in score being related to anything else. Has anyone else seen this? I heard that address changes were going to start having an effect on FICO scores, but I assumed that would be in a future model. Is the above description just outdated? I figure it must be.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Address Change

I got an alert on address change increaseing my score 7 points!!!

What the??

This makes no sense.

I got it both at MyFico and at Equifax it said it bumped it up 4 pts.

I didn't change my address, somehow it was a typo.

Makes no sense.

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

An address change won't affect your score.

It is a trigger for an update though; however, the score changed for some other reason.  The monitoring solutions aren't very granular honestly, excellent in broad strokes but they don't catch everything.

@gettinto800: Lenders fumble updating addresses all the time; I'm going through the process of moving and it's laughable some of the addresses which got entered into the system... when I can go look in their online portal and see yes, the address is correct there.  I don't know how that part is so broken honestly, but I'll wait for my new accounts and changed addresses to settle down and then I'll go dispute the broken ones off.  Not a big deal.

        
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an address change (sold a home) and I got a notification from myFICO that my Experian score dropped 18 points. The alert itself says it was due to the address change. TransUnion gave an alert of an address change but did not change points at all. I pulled my report and there were no changes other than the address. My guess is that while others may not, Experian reflects the change. 

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I had an address change (sold a home) and I got a notification from myFICO that my Experian score dropped 18 points. The alert itself says it was due to the address change. TransUnion gave an alert of an address change but did not change points at all. I pulled my report and there were no changes other than the address. My guess is that while others may not, Experian reflects the change. 

I've just gone through a change of address myself, and no drops as a result.

I assure you was something else, address ain't used for FICO calculation.  If you had a mortgage on that home, more likely your loan was reported paid / closed, and that might indeed cause an 18 point drop.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.