Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed: trying to boost my mortgage scores for August

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed: trying to boost my mortgage scores for August

Hey Gonzozap.  I wonder if it might be better for our OP not to request the RR.  You and others may know more about how that works, but unless the RR is done within 14 days of his last mortgage score pull, he'll be racking up another distinct inquiry at all three bureaus.  (I assume the RR generates its own inquiry?)

Better might be DollyL's advice which is for the OP to get his profile in as quickly optimized shape as he can and then, when everything is reporting properly (and 32 days after his last mortgage inquiry) pull his mortgage scores via myFICO.  No hard inquiry that way.  It's basically your idea minus the hard pull.

RR is more appropriate when the buyer/borrower expects to close in the next 30 days.  Our OP will not be closing until August.

Certainly our OP should work closely with the experienced people here at this site before opening more loans, doing more hard pulls, altering his installment utilization (he's gone from 60 to 100%) -- etc.  All of those things may well have been mistakes that could affect his score in  July/Aug.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our OP asked about total installment util (TIU) and mortgage score models.  He's right: TIU is not a factor for the TU and EQ mortgage scores but is a definite factor for EX.  Thus the re-fi might not have an effect on his middle mortgage score but it could.

That's why he needs to slow down, optimize his reports for the mortgage models, make sure everything is reporting correctly, then pull his scores again.  He also needs to make sure 32 days have elapsed since the last mortgage inquiry, so he is confident that the next set of mortgage score includes the inquiry impact as well.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies guys. I never heard about Rapid rescore. I'll check with my loan officer. Can I request the lender for RR if it is more than 14 days? The lender pulled my credit on Feb.20 which is more than14 days. The rates are not locked yet but just got the mortgage commitment from the lender. If we go for joint mortgage along with my wife, the loan officer said we are easily qualified for conventional. Her credit profile is solid with less than 20% CC UTIL, paid auto and 713 MMS. But our idea is to have just myself on the mortgage loan (my salary is higher) which is why he suggested to refinance the car loan to get the DTI below 39%. I am not gonna apply for anymore credit until I close. I can make more payments to CC if I have to. I am also planning to purchase the 3B report with MyFico next month after the auto refi is reported. So I can know where my scores are and get to know the plan of action then.

Side note: DCU just provided the EQ score on Friday. Now I am at 731 after the paid CC are reported!!! but car refinance has n't reported yet. EQ was at 694 on Feb.20 when the lender pulled and it was my MMS. Hopefully I won't lose much points after the auto is reported.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My comments below in blue.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys. I never heard about Rapid rescore. I'll check with my loan officer. Can I request the lender for RR if it is more than 14 days? The lender pulled my credit on Feb.20 which is more than14 days.

The key idea that you need to be clear on is that the RR involves pulling your reports again.  This means it is another inquiry.

RR's are typically done when a person is frantically trying to get his scores up just before he closes on the property.  Since mortgage inquiries don't have any effect on your score until 30 days after they are done, having extra inquiries during those final days before you close is not a problem.  By the time they kick in, you already own your house.

But you are not planning to buy a house until August.  That's much longer than 30 days from now.

On the other hand, if the RR and your initial mortgage inquiry occured within 14 days, then they would be lumped together as one inqury (that's another FICO rule to protect buyers).  But the two inquries are NOT occuring within 14 days of each other.

Therefore when final underwriting begins (July/Aug), and they pull your scores one last time, they will see the inquiry from Feb, and the RR done in March/April.  Thus the RR would be an additional hard inquiry and therefore an additional 5 points or more off your score.  By pulling your mortgage scores yourself here at myFICO, it becomes in contrast a soft inquiry and those are not visible to FICO or to lenders.

The rates are not locked yet but just got the mortgage commitment from the lender. If we go for joint mortgage along with my wife, the loan officer said we are easily qualified for conventional. Her credit profile is solid with less than 20% CC UTIL, paid auto and 713 MMS. But our idea is to have just myself on the mortgage loan (my salary is higher) which is why he suggested to refinance the car loan to get the DTI below 39%. I am not gonna apply for anymore credit until I close. I can make more payments to CC if I have to.

The mortgage models like it a LOT when they see most of your cards showing a $0 balance.  This is a scoring factor different from CC utilization.  If you think you could pay off your Citi DB entirely (thus resulting in one more CC at $0) and also get your total utilization down to < 8.9% that would give you a definite benefit.  Frankly if I were you and you can do this without grave hardship I would just do it now as part of your plan to optimize your reports.  Do it now BEFORE your pull your mortgage scores in April, I mean.

I am also planning to purchase the 3B report with MyFico next month after the auto refi is reported. So I can know where my scores are and get to know the plan of action then.

Good. Except, you should really wait to pull your mortgage scores until your reports are optimized in all respects.  Unless of course you'd like to pay for your mortgage scores three or four times.  So I would wait till all the car loan accounts have changed (new account reporting and old account reporting closed with a balance of $0) as well as all your CC balances the way you want them plus 32 days having elapsed since your last mortgage inquiry.

Side note: DCU just provided the EQ score on Friday. Now I am at 731 after the paid CC are reported!!! but car refinance has n't reported yet. EQ was at 694 on Feb.20 when the lender pulled and it was my MMS. Hopefully I won't lose much points after the auto is reported.

PS.  Having high mortgage scores is important not just for the mortgage but also for the PMI.  An increase to your scores benefits your PMI cost till the scores hit 760 I believe.

Message 14 of 17
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The EQ score that reported Friday, Score 8?  Which would be a different score from your mortgage score.  You will get a better snapshot next month when you pull your 3B, and are able to see the mortgage score at that particular time. Just remember any payments that you make prior to August closing, will be most July statement payments you have made. Some might be from August depending upon the date you close and when your statements cut. Best to be where you want to be in terms of making payments at optimal in July to serve as a buffer.. 

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So RR doesn't apply to me then I don't want to lose any more points now. 

I am definitely paying off Citi DC this month. I think I can pay off Ashley also. Then after these payments and auto refi reports to all CRAs, I'll buy the 3B report here. 

Assuming I did all these steps, how would my score look like next month? Would I still be around 730?

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DollyLama wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The EQ score that reported Friday, Score 8?  Which would be a different score from your mortgage score.  You will get a better snapshot next month when you pull your 3B, and are able to see the mortgage score at that particular time. Just remember any payments that you make prior to August closing, will be most July statement payments you have made. Some might be from August depending upon the date you close and when your statements cut. Best to be where you want to be in terms of making payments at optimal in July to serve as a buffer.. 

I learnt from here that the EQ score provided by DCU is the mortgage score (EQ FICO 5)

Yes, I'll be paying off couple more cards before next month to get the UTIL under 9%

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.