Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on credit card balance transfer and FICO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on credit card balance transfer and FICO

I have three credit cards. One has a large balance (near max) but only 8% rate. One is paid off monthly. I`ve had those for a few years. The other one, which I have probably had for two years, has > $6,000 on it and now a high interest rate. I am now able to pay this last one off over the next 7-12 months. 

Should I do a balance transfer to Chase Slate (no transfer fee and 0%) while I am paying it off, to save about $350-400 in interest? (I can also pay it off faster, due to more going to principal.) But I guess the new card will temporarily lower my average credit card account length. 

Should I get rid of the credit card it is replacing? I would rather only have 2 cards, ultimately, because I have a history of not being disciplined about using them. However, I have improved significantly and know that having more active cards with low balances will improve my FICO score. 

How often do I need to use a card for it to improve my FICO score significantly, as opposed to not using it (because it has a large balance)?

In 3-4 years, I want a great FICO score when I will probably buy a house. It is currently a little over 700.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on credit card balance transfer and FICO

@Anonymous wrote:

I have three credit cards. One has a large balance (near max) but only 8% rate. One is paid off monthly. I`ve had those for a few years. The other one, which I have probably had for two years, has > $6,000 on it and now a high interest rate. I am now able to pay this last one off over the next 7-12 months. 

Should I do a balance transfer to Chase Slate (no transfer fee and 0%) while I am paying it off, to save about $350-400 in interest? (I can also pay it off faster, due to more going to principal.) But I guess the new card will temporarily lower my average credit card account length. 

Should I get rid of the credit card it is replacing? I would rather only have 2 cards, ultimately, because I have a history of not being disciplined about using them. However, I have improved significantly and know that having more active cards with low balances will improve my FICO score. 

How often do I need to use a card for it to improve my FICO score significantly, as opposed to not using it (because it has a large balance)?

In 3-4 years, I want a great FICO score when I will probably buy a house. It is currently a little over 700.

Chase is notorious for their SL's on Slate not being big enough to do what one wants with a BT. With one card near max and another with presumably high utilization, this would probably be the case for you. (It was the case for me with Slate, and have read others here as well.) 

Who are the lenders, what cards, what CL's and what are the rates with your current cards? Folks here might have some more creative ideas with more info to work with. 

Message 2 of 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice on credit card balance transfer and FICO

@Anonymous wrote:

1. You should set priorities. If your concern is money, put the balance where the interest rate is lowest or nonexistent. If your concern is your scores, concentrate on having lowest utilization percentages (a) overall, and (b) in each account.

2. I don't think you should cancel an account, just "sock drawer" it.

3. I don't think your FICO score is affected one way or the other by how often you use a card.

4. The best thing you can do to get your scores up in 3 years is pay your cards down and don't get any new ones.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.