Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affects of card being closed...

tag
BrandonP
Valued Member

Affects of card being closed...

I have (had) a Sony Financial Sercvies card through HSBC and just recently was notified that HSBC will be dropping Sony. Basically my account will be closed once I pay down my balance, correct? I only owe $60.00 and what really sucks is that I just got a CLI from 1500 to 4700. I think they did it knowing the card would be cancelled!

I'm wondering, if from a score standpoint, should I just pay the minimum for 4-5 months to prolong the closing of the card? I'm mostly worried about my UTL getting jacked up. Or should I just say ef it and pay them off?

TU-699 EQ-720
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Madison
Regular Contributor

Re: Affects of card being closed...

What is the APR Interest they are charging you? If it is over 10% I would pay it off and apply for another type of credit card. You might as well bite the bullet. The sooner you replace it, the sooner you can boost your credit score.

Message 2 of 16
BrandonP
Valued Member

Well I already have 8 cards including this one, so I don't intend to app for anything else. I just financed a newer vehicle and got pounded with inqs.

The apr is high at 12% or so. Its more about losing the CL more than anything.

TU-699 EQ-720
Message 3 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Brandon, with the balance that you are carrying, I wouldn't worry about the APR. Heck, if the APR was 30% the monthly finance charge is $1.50. I would pay the minimum, if they are going to close it when it hits $0. What is your overall util? Also, as Madison states, try to replace that CL ASAP, but definitely before the card closes, if you are in a bad overall util position.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 16
BrandonP
Valued Member

My util is at 40%, (i know) and if I lose this cl i'll go up to 45%. I'm a little leary of opening another card right now. I have 3 accounts under a year old. What might I look for with my current scores? Right now I have a BofA Visa, BofA Amex, Amex Blue, Fred Myers Jewelers, Sears store card, and a Home Depot card.
TU-699 EQ-720
Message 5 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

That move in util won't cause a score drop. It did not go over the 50% threshold.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you should pay it off and let it close.  Otherwise, you could get hit by a bus, end up in the hospital and the account will R9. 

Strike early.  Strike often.

-Leggo

Message Edited by leggo on 11-21-2008 06:24 PM
Message 7 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

leggo wrote:

Yes, you should pay it off and let it close.  Otherwise, you could get hit by a bus, end up in the hospital and the account will R9. 

Strike early.  Strike often.

-Leggo

Message Edited by leggo on 11-21-2008 06:24 PM

Um, if OP catches "Mack Truck Syndrome" I think that the least of his problems will be a $60 account balance going R9. There are obviously many higher balances that will go R9 as well.
Message Edited by ByrdMan on 11-21-2008 09:34 PM

Message 8 of 16
BrandonP
Valued Member

LOL...thanks guys, hopefully I don't get hit by bus. I'm going to pay em off today. Thanks.
TU-699 EQ-720
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My recommendation would

be see if the current cards that you have are willing to give you CLI's with soft hits versus the hard stuff.  If you can figure out a way to get 4700 in credit from your other cards you could keep your util down.

Good Luck!

TheTaxMan

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.