Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age of newly added Joint Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Age of newly added Joint Account

Ok - need some confirmation.

If my wife has a credit card that was opened in 1998 and if I apply and are approved to be a joint user of the card, I get her card's age back to 1998, correct?

I would simply do an AU, but with FICO 08 coming, this will work better.  But I just want to be sure that this will work.   I know I will get an INQ from this, but that will go away in a year and the higher avg. and oldest age will more than offset.....

Please confirm. Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Age of newly added Joint Account

Boscoe wrote:
Ok - need some confirmation.

If my wife has a credit card that was opened in 1998 and if I apply and are approved to be a joint user of the card, I get her card's age back to 1998, correct?

I would simply do an AU, but with FICO 08 coming, this will work better.  But I just want to be sure that this will work.   I know I will get an INQ from this, but that will go away in a year and the higher avg. and oldest age will more than offset.....

Please confirm. Thanks.

Yes, you are correct.  You will get the entire history as long as you are added as a joint user.

Keep in mind it's very difficult to remove yourself from a joint account, much more difficult than removing yourself as an AU, so make sure this is what you want to do before you do it.

Also keep in mind that not all CCCs offer joint accounts.  If you don't mind me asking, which CCC is it?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowe's through GEMB and Discover.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boscoe wrote:
Lowe's through GEMB and Discover.

OK, I don't know anything about either. Smiley Tongue  Sorry.

But your original post is correct.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover will add a spouse as joint- I'm planning to do the same thing, add my husband as joint so he gets the age and perfect payment history on my Disc.

I even called and got them to send the paperwork, and then it got opened, put down, and the cats knocked it on the floor and yakked on it...  I much prefer online bills!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same situation, my mother is going to help me improve my credit by adding me on a bloomingdales "98" charge card & "01" Macy's charge card,I don't have a bad score but I can do better EX:698. Is their a difference between a charge card vs a credit cards, as far as inheriting their history?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is their a difference between a charge card vs a credit cards, as far as inheriting their history?

Nope. There shouldn't be. History is history no matter what it is.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.