Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charge Card

tag
Kenro
Regular Contributor

Amex Charge Card

I have recently applied and got approved for Amex charge card (Green)... I got it for the sole purpose of using it as a leverage during those re-considiration phone calls to say pretty much "Hey look, I have unlimited card and I havent gone crazy with it"

I dont plan on using it much at all...

However, I have heard that Amex Charge Cards murder your credit score especially if you dont rack up big bills on them.

Now I am wondering whether I should not activate it when it comes through the mail Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Charge Card

Doesn't matter if you don't activate it. It will still be reported to the CRAs.

Message 2 of 3
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Charge Card

@Kenro wrote:

I have recently applied and got approved for Amex charge card (Green)... I got it for the sole purpose of using it as a leverage during those re-considiration phone calls to say pretty much "Hey look, I have unlimited card and I havent gone crazy with it"

I dont plan on using it much at all...

However, I have heard that Amex Charge Cards murder your credit score especially if you dont rack up big bills on them.

Now I am wondering whether I should not activate it when it comes through the mail Smiley Sad

Amex charge card balances have no affect on EX or TU FICO scores. In my experience they do have an affect on EQ scores and use the high balance as a proxy for your CL. At least for overall utliization and for high balances that are less than somewhere between 40k and 50k. Over that they don't count for EQ either,

Amex reports the highest statement balance over the last 18 months.

Basically, Amex cards are useful for making large purchases than would be problematic for revolving cards.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.