Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 'Adding an authorized user' Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another 'Adding an authorized user' Question

So

I'm sure if could probably just dig into this more and do my OWN research,  but then again,  hey - that's what the forum is for, right!?

Background

I'm trying to help build the girlfriends dads' credit score...  which is 301 (or non-existent) ... never had a credit card his whole life.   He's been denied for all the cards we applied for,  so I've added him to my Cap One card. 

Questions

• Do you have to issue a card for him to actually be considered a 'user' and obtain credit (I assume no,  but who knows... sometimes there's fine print)
  • Should I add him to more than one card?  (I also assume no on this,  but would more cards be considered good?)
  • I'm working on rebuilding my credit also,  so I hope this will reflect positively on his score.  Is there anything I'm not considering doing this?
  • Any other tips or tricks,  or bonuses,  or ANYTHING I should be looking out for?

THANKS for any responses.  As usual it's greatly apprecaited!!!!

1 REPLY 1
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Another 'Adding an authorized user' Question

There is a huge difference between a 301 score and a no-score. If there is nothing on his reports is much better than having bad things and no recent activity to generate a score.

In general I think it's best if:

- the AU is from family member and the same address

- add to 2-3 old cards with perfect payment history, without lates or any other bad thing

- don't add to Amex cards (they will report as new accounts and 0 month history)

- there are some cards that will give you bonus, but only if they are new account and add an AU (like Chase)

- after 2-3 months request all 3 credit reports, some cards reports AU to all bureaus, others only some and a few will not report at all.

About the 'issue a card', you can ask for a card but make sure they will deliver it to you, you can destroy the card if you want.

I hope the cards report and he can get a good score. Good luck.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.