Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anouther counter-intuitive score drop: CA drops off and EQ FICO drops 1 point

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anouther counter-intuitive score drop: CA drops off and EQ FICO drops 1 point

My last collection dropped off EQ the other day (a year early after GW'ing), and my score dropped from 665 to 664. I know all the next questions: not a single thing otherwise was changed in my report (and I don't think the CA drop affects average age etc., or at least in this case even if it did it was young enough and the rest of my accounts are so young on EQ I don't think it would matter much).

If also dropped off EX, with no FICO score change (719 still).

It's yet to record on TU, but I'll let you know if the 711 there changes.

I'm a bit perplexed as it was the last CA on that EQ report (and I have only one more negative on that report dropping in October so from then on a completely clean report), and being my lowest score I was hoping to see a good boost. EQ does have my lowest overall average age (2 years) as it doesn't have cards that report to EX and TU (5/6 years for those).

TU and EX each have 1 other CA on them.

I, too, thought what you're thinking: there has to be a difference in the report elsewhere, but -- Scout's Honor -- there isn't.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anouther counter-intuitive score drop: CA drops off and EQ FICO drops 1 point

What is the name of the CA? No, they aren't factored into your history. And nothing else happened on EQ or EX, like an old account ( non-CA) removal, something else added, dates changes, balances changed, etc.

sfoclt wrote:
I, too, thought what you're thinking: there has to be a difference in the report elsewhere, but -- Scout's Honor -- there isn't.

And I believe you.....
Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anouther counter-intuitive score drop: CA drops off and EQ FICO drops 1 point

To confirm, this is your EX and EQ FICO score pulled from this site only, right?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, these are myFico scores. The CA was Credit Protection Associates (on behalf of Comcast). CPA would never remove; I had better luck when I went back to Comcast. CPA never responded to anything I wrote them; Comcast though was very helpful.

In addition to knowing my reports better than I know my wife, one other reason I know nothing else changed (although I scoured the reports too...) is I had happened to pull FICO scores a couple days before the change registered on the reports. Since the change was unexpected so soon, I pulled new FICO scores immediately to see exactly the effect the drop of 1 CA would have. I didn't expect to lose a point on one and remain the same on another. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

How old is that last CA on EX?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The last CA I have is on EX and EQ, and it doesn't fall off until next summer. No luck getting them to GW, alas (although I keep trying monthly). And by then the rest of my reports will be significantly changed (improved age, payment history etc.) so I won't be able to isolate the score difference for that one dropping off in relation to the last EQ one dropping off.
Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

sfoclt wrote:
The last CA I have is on EX and EQ, and it doesn't fall off until next summer. No luck getting them to GW, alas (although I keep trying monthly). And by then the rest of my reports will be significantly changed (improved age, payment history etc.) so I won't be able to isolate the score difference for that one dropping off in relation to the last EQ one dropping off.

OK, the CA that was removed was on EX and EQ? And TU was pending?

The final CA is on EX and EQ (not TU)?

I have to check, but are you 100% the last remaining item is a CA, rather than a CO?

I have been reading and have a theory. But it would only work if there are 0 CAs on EX or EQ (the two reports with a 0 and a -1 pt change). That theory would be rebucketing. Basically your score would be placed into a new classification of people who don't have any collections. It could mean a temporary score drop, but it would also mean a more rapid increase in scores in the long-run.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

After checking today the CA has now dropped off all 3 reports. It's definitely a CA, not a CO. That leaves me with a CA on TU and EX that won't fall off for a year or so (unless my GW persistence pays off, which I don't expect given their past indifference). If I was rebucketed that could be good I guess in the long run, although I was hoping to get a mortgage in the spring (so was hoping my scores could advance into the mid 700's by then). The lack of upward movement in EQ and EX after the last CA on EQ and second to last on EX fell off was disconcerting.

Message Edited by sfoclt on 08-18-2008 07:15 PM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.