Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any benefit to a FICO score? More inside

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any benefit to a FICO score? More inside

I monitor all 3 major credit bureaus (one every 4 months) and have found no mistakes.  I have no debt, 4 credit cards that are used but paid in full each month, but in the past have had a mortgage, car loan, and a few other loans, all paid on time.

For my situation, what would the advantage be to paying for a FICO score?  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gagum129
Regular Contributor

Re: Any benefit to a FICO score? More inside

Are you in search of a loan? This is a good place to get your true FICO score for Equifax and Transunion. You most likely are in good standing and have a decent score but it is always good knowing for yourself what you score is prior to talking to a loan officer or applying for credit.

Starting Score: 582
Current Score:
Equifax 684 MyFico 10/10/11
Transunion 659 lender pull 7/6/11
Experian 690 lender pull 7/6/11

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I'm not applying for a loan, sorry I should have said that earlier.  So, as long as my credit reports are accurate, are there any benefits to knowing my actual number?  I am curious but also am too cheap to pay for it.  

Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I'm not applying for a loan, sorry I should have said that earlier.  So, as long as my credit reports are accurate, are there any benefits to knowing my actual number?  I am curious but also am too cheap to pay for it.  

Nope, you've pretty well summed it up.  Smiley Very Happy

If you will be in the market for new credit, especially one where your scores can seriously influence your wallet (= mortgage), it makes sense to know your FICO scores ahead of time, in case you need to do any tweaking.

If you're curious and don't mind burning some bucks, it makes sense to find out.

Otherwise, the score isn't very relevant to your life.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If you are curious you can pull your Equifax FICO score for 7 bucks. 

Message 5 of 8
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Well, knowledge is power and I think it never hurts to know everything there is to know about your own financial profile.  Some people report being surprised that their FICO scores are not as high as they imagined and it was because they didn't have a good "credit mix" among open accounts (variety of different trade lines, not just credit cards).  For instance, if your score is stuck at 750, that is a very good score, but you could very possibly boost it to 800 by doing a few tweaks (including perhaps adding a different type of TL, and/or by letting 2 of your credit cards report a small amount).

IMO, I would definitely go for the $7 score here on myfico.  Then, tweak away.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Message 6 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ficofox wrote:

Well, knowledge is power and I think it never hurts to know everything there is to know about your own financial profile.  Some people report being surprised that their FICO scores are not as high as they imagined and it was because they didn't have a good "credit mix" among open accounts (variety of different trade lines, not just credit cards).  For instance, if your score is stuck at 750, that is a very good score, but you could very possibly boost it to 800 by doing a few tweaks (including perhaps adding a different type of TL, and/or by letting 2 of your credit cards report a small amount).

IMO, I would definitely go for the $7 score here on myfico.  Then, tweak away.

If you know how to get a score here for $7 PLEASE let me in on the secret.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 8
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Ha - you're right.  I guess it's $19.95 here (can find coupons for 25% off).  I must be thinking of my scorewatch through NFCU at $6.95/mo.  Nevermind.Woman Wink Still worth it at twice the price, I say.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.