Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any data points on installment loan <70%

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Any data points on installment loan <70%

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting.  I wonder what those combined percentages would be that trigger different boosts.

When I pulled my FICO scores a few weeks ago from CCT, one of the factors they listed as positively impacting my scores was "significant" portions of my installment loans had been paid down... some wording along those lines.  To me, with my mortgage being at 76% and my car loan being at 74% at the time, I was surprised that paying down 24% and 26% respectively was considered "significant" in the eyes of FICO scoring. 

Many have concluded that getting under 80% leads to a FICO score boost.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Installment loans are looked at in aggregate onle (total balance/total loan ratio). They do not have an indivitual element like revolving credit cards.

CAPTOOL shared data back in 9/2015 that showed a step change improvement in score when his aggregate B/L ratio went from a percentage in low 70s to the high 60s. See link below:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/...

Mortgage loans are designated differently and given their own summary category on credit reports. I've never had anything but mortgage loans in my file so I can't speak personally with respect to car loans or other installment loans. Regardless, for a mortgage by itself or in aggregate with other installment loans, you don't need to be below 50% B/L (let alone below 10%) to get a top score.

Thank you, I didn't know that.

I stand corrected.

I'm learning every day here.

Message 12 of 26
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Installment loans are looked at in aggregate onle (total balance/total loan ratio). They do not have an indivitual element like revolving credit cards.

CAPTOOL shared data back in 9/2015 that showed a step change improvement in score when his aggregate B/L ratio went from a percentage in low 70s to the high 60s. See link below:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/...

Mortgage loans are designated differently and given their own summary category on credit reports. I've never had anything but mortgage loans in my file so I can't speak personally with respect to car loans or other installment loans. Regardless, for a mortgage by itself or in aggregate with other installment loans, you don't need to be below 50% B/L (let alone below 10%) to get a top score.

I stand corrected.

SJ, just to clarify things:

All installment loans (including mortgages) may be aggregated together as a scoring metric. However, the aggregate balance to loan ratio can certainly be 65% without preventing one from reaching a score of 850. See link below on Inverse data.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/FICO-9-inquiry-impact-and-aging/m-p/45816...

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 13 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

I stand corrected.

SJ, just to clarify things:

All installment loans (including mortgages) may be aggregated together as a scoring metric. However, the aggregate balance to loan ratio can certainly be 65% without preventing one from reaching a score of 850. See link below on Inverse data.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/FICO-9-inquiry-impact-and-aging/m-p/45816...

Oh, OK. So mortgages do get aggregated with other installment loans.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they said it was somewhere in the 60's?  I'm on my way down like you.  I haven't notice too much of a difference yet.  My mortgage if just going under 90%.  Still too new to matter.  I also got a moto loan of 10k just to diversity and they included both of those together.  I would have been in the 60's if I they didn't do it that way.  I guess because both are installment loans?

Message 15 of 26
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm researching this info now.  I don't have a mortgage but do have an auto loan.  Starting balance was $24,995. Current balance is $18,233.  69% would be $17,246. I have 3 months until I get it down to that amount. Maybe I'll pick up a few points.

I should have borrowed more then made a big first payment to get the percentage down quickly. I'll probably do that with my next car.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is at 69% right now and should be reported any day to the bureaus.  Once I pull the scores I'll be sure to report back if there was any measurable gain across my scores.

Message 17 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Wow I'm impressed that you remembered that Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 26
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Wow I'm impressed that you remembered that Smiley Happy

+1

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, can't say for sure if it was the auto loan or just the aging of my accounts.  But 50 points was significant.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.