Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any datapoints on AoYA crossing 1 year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any datapoints on AoYA crossing 1 year?

For those that checked their scores just before their youngest account reached 1 year and then again after, what type of increase did you see scoring wise?  What was your AoOA and AAoA as well?  I'm a couple of months away from my youngest account hitting 1 year, but more than likely I'll app again before that point in time arrives so I'm doubtful I'll be able to test this datapoint myself any time soon.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any datapoints on AoYA crossing 1 year?

@Anonymous wrote:

For those that checked their scores just before their youngest account reached 1 year and then again after, what type of increase did you see scoring wise?  What was your AoOA and AAoA as well?  I'm a couple of months away from my youngest account hitting 1 year, but more than likely I'll app again before that point in time arrives so I'm doubtful I'll be able to test this datapoint myself any time soon.

On my dirty file, I got nothing for Age of Youngest Account going over a year: Dixie Flatline style, FICO 04 and FICO 8 models.  Was tracking everything with lots of datapoints on a zealously fixed during my mortgage process, and happened to tick beyond the 1 year mark on my most recent account.  AAOA was somewhere north of 2 years at the time, oldest account was from 08 so that would've been roughly 7 years at the time.

May be different on clean files to be sure.

        
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know regarding a dirty file.  As you know I have the unique opportunity of having both clean and dirty files depending on the bureau, so it would be cool to see if there's a difference if I am able to make it to the 1 year mark for AoYA.

I'm also wondering if AAoA and AoOA matter.  Like if your AAoA and/or AoOA are high enough perhaps AoYA being less than 1 year matters less?

Any other datapoints on this would be insightful.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good to know regarding a dirty file.  As you know I have the unique opportunity of having both clean and dirty files depending on the bureau, so it would be cool to see if there's a difference if I am able to make it to the 1 year mark for AoYA.

I'm also wondering if AAoA and AoOA matter.  Like if your AAoA and/or AoOA are high enough perhaps AoYA being less than 1 year matters less?

Any other datapoints on this would be insightful.

I have a 10 year old positive paid/closed student loan dropping off in October of 2017, and that will likely drop my AAoA to less than a year. AoYA is going to be 1 mo soon when my AMEX starts reporting. The first statement cuts on the 12th of April. Mortgage should close somewhere around October as well. (Barring any glaring problems in the meantime)

When the 10 year old account drops, my oldest account will only be 3.5 years.

We will get a good bit of data while these things flux.

Even though my oldest accounts are where my late payments are, I think we can still look at the deltas for some good info.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting question.  I have been wondering that myself.  I track my FICO scores and credit on a weekly basis and have been for almost 2 years.  Your question is exactly what I was looking at for this month.  Last year in March I applied for and was approved for 4 credit cards.  2 on 03/27, 1 on 03/28 and one on 03/30.  I was also wondering if my scores would get a bump on my one year anniversary because FICO does not include hard inquiries in their FICO 8 scoring model after 1 year (but they do stay on your report for another year), and my 4 tradelines would hit the 1 year mark.

To give a little history about my credit profile, I have 16 tradelines – 2 mortgages, 1 student loan (my sons), and 13 credit cards.  All my credit cards every single month always report $0 balance (I pay them off before they hit the credit bureaus).  My mortgages and co-signed student loan drop a little each month.  Not much changes in my FICO reports and scores each month.  However, I was looking forward to this month because those 4 accounts reaching the 1 year mark, and those 4 hard inquires dropping from the FICO 8 scoring model.

Today I saw your question and decided to order a 3 bureau report.  My FICO scores on March 26th were Experian: 797 Equifax: 803 Transunion: 809.  Today March 28 they are – Experian: 811 Equifax: 816 and Transunion: 809.

Experian breakdown.  On March 26 my score was 797.  I had 3 hard inquiries due to come off this month (1 year).  2 on 03/27 and 1 on 03/28.  I checked my score yesterday 03/27 and it had jumped to 807.  Today I checked and it had jumped to 811.  Because my credit report does not change much due to always having a $0 balance on all my credit cards, I can only assume that the 1 year Hard inquiry drop and the tradelines becoming a year old were responsible for the 14 point bump in score.  4 to 5 point jump for each one.  Yesterday when 2 accounts aged 1 year and Hard inquiry drop, I got a 10 point bump (5 points each), and today when 1 account aged 1 year and 1 hard inquiry drop I got a 4 point bump. 

Equifax breakdown.  On March 26 my score was 803.  I had 2 hard inquires due to come off this month and the same 2 tradelines to age 1 year – 1 on 03/27 and 1 on 03/28.  Today March 28 my score jumped to 816.  Apply same logic above under Experian breakdown.  The only difference is for Equifax my score jumped an average of 8 points per tradeline reaching 1 year and both hard inquires no longer included in the FICO 8 scoring model.

Transunion breakdown.  Very interesting for this one.  My FICO scores stayed the same from March 26 809 to today 809.  I have 1 tradeline aging a year on 03/30 and its accompanying hard inquiry being dropped from FICO 8 scoring model on that same day.  So no change activity to report for Transunion because it hasn’t reached 03/30 yet (Friday). This kind of supports the logic above and bumps in scores for Experian and Equifax but NOT Transunion.

Everyone’s credit profile is different and I am not saying this will happen for you.  But, for me, I believe that the 1 year AoYA and the Hard Inquiries dropping from FICO 8 scoring model gave me a nice bump in scores.  I will look at my Transunion score on 03/30 and see if I get at 4 to 8 point bump.  Would be nice. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Very interesting question.  I have been wondering that myself.  I track my FICO scores and credit on a weekly basis and have been for almost 2 years.  Your question is exactly what I was looking at for this month.  Last year in March I applied for and was approved for 4 credit cards.  2 on 03/27, 1 on 03/28 and one on 03/30.  I was also wondering if my scores would get a bump on my one year anniversary because FICO does not include hard inquiries in their FICO 8 scoring model after 1 year (but they do stay on your report for another year), and my 4 tradelines would hit the 1 year mark.

To give a little history about my credit profile, I have 16 tradelines – 2 mortgages, 1 student loan (my sons), and 13 credit cards.  All my credit cards every single month always report $0 balance (I pay them off before they hit the credit bureaus).  My mortgages and co-signed student loan drop a little each month.  Not much changes in my FICO reports and scores each month.  However, I was looking forward to this month because those 4 accounts reaching the 1 year mark, and those 4 hard inquires dropping from the FICO 8 scoring model.

Today I saw your question and decided to order a 3 bureau report.  My FICO scores on March 26th were Experian: 797 Equifax: 803 Transunion: 809.  Today March 28 they are – Experian: 811 Equifax: 816 and Transunion: 809.

Experian breakdown.  On March 26 my score was 797.  I had 3 hard inquiries due to come off this month (1 year).  2 on 03/27 and 1 on 03/28.  I checked my score yesterday 03/27 and it had jumped to 807.  Today I checked and it had jumped to 811.  Because my credit report does not change much due to always having a $0 balance on all my credit cards, I can only assume that the 1 year Hard inquiry drop and the tradelines becoming a year old were responsible for the 14 point bump in score.  4 to 5 point jump for each one.  Yesterday when 2 accounts aged 1 year and Hard inquiry drop, I got a 10 point bump (5 points each), and today when 1 account aged 1 year and 1 hard inquiry drop I got a 4 point bump. 

Equifax breakdown.  On March 26 my score was 803.  I had 2 hard inquires due to come off this month and the same 2 tradelines to age 1 year – 1 on 03/27 and 1 on 03/28.  Today March 28 my score jumped to 816.  Apply same logic above under Experian breakdown.  The only difference is for Equifax my score jumped an average of 8 points per tradeline reaching 1 year and both hard inquires no longer included in the FICO 8 scoring model.

Transunion breakdown.  Very interesting for this one.  My FICO scores stayed the same from March 26 809 to today 809.  I have 1 tradeline aging a year on 03/30 and its accompanying hard inquiry being dropped from FICO 8 scoring model on that same day.  So no change activity to report for Transunion because it hasn’t reached 03/30 yet (Friday). This kind of supports the logic above and bumps in scores for Experian and Equifax but NOT Transunion.

Everyone’s credit profile is different and I am not saying this will happen for you.  But, for me, I believe that the 1 year AoYA and the Hard Inquiries dropping from FICO 8 scoring model gave me a nice bump in scores.  I will look at my Transunion score on 03/30 and see if I get at 4 to 8 point bump.  Would be nice. 

Great info above!  Thanks for taking the time to post. 

I guess the tough thing to consider here is that since there are 2 variables reaching the 1 year mark (Inquirie(s) and AoYA) it's impossible to decipher how many points each one is "worth" when considering the increase.  I'd tend to think that the AoYA reaching 1 year matters more scoring wise than year-old inquiries.  From my experience in the past, getting hit with inquiries often only impacts score a couple of points, then more points can be lost when the "new account" reports.  If the inquiry itself though is only worth say 3 points at the time it happens, I'd think that in a year it's probably only impacting score maybe a point, if at all actually.  From my experience it seemed like any points lost from inquiries AND new accounts came back in 4-6 months.  Obviously there are other factors at play, but that's always been my feeling on it.

I'll be curious to see what happens with your TU score in the next week or so.

Also, out of curiosity, you said that you always make sure all of your credit cards report zero balances.  Have you ever let one of them report a small balance to see what type of score bump you'd get?  Typically many find it to be in the 15-20 point range, which would yield you some sweet 820's-830's more than likely Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes on letting a small balance hit the cards on occasion.  But, I do not see a bump.  There was only 1 time last year when i saw a bump on Equifax - but not on EX and TU, when i let a $200 balance report for the month on 1 credit card.  it was a good bump too - 14 points.  I did some research on it because I wanted to see why i got such a juicy bump.  What I had noticed was since i had got the card, it never had a balance reported on it, so when it finally did I assumed Equifax FICO scoring really liked it indicating that the card was in use or being used.  Not sure why EX and TU didn't get the same bump.  What I also noticed was Equifax had always about 16 points behind EX and TU.  After that point they were all a lot closer in scores.  All of my tradelines are on all 3 credit bureaus and there is nothing extra on any one of them.  All of my credit bureau reports look identical.  Could have been the way the tradeline was reported to Equifax vs what EX and TU had.  

One other item to note on my post above.  I am curious as to why i got a bigger bump (16 points) for 2 Hard Inq dropping off and 3 tradelines hitting the 1 year anniversary for Equifax and only 14 points for 3 Hard Inq dropping off and 3 tradelines reaching the 1 year anniversary for Experian.  I went back to my credit reports and looked at all my Hard Inquiries for each Credit Bureau.  Im beginning to think that FICO 8 dropping the Hard Inquiries has a lot more weight than the tradelines reaching the 1 year anniversary.

LT1=Less than 1 year

GT1=Greater than 1 year

Hard Inquiry Totals - EX: 8  EQ: 5  TU: 2

Here are my Hard Inquiries by Bureau March 26

EX: LT1=6 GT1=2

EQ: LT1=3 GT1=2

TU: LT1=1 GT1=1

Here are my Hard Inquiries by Bureau March 27

EX: LT1=4 GT1=4

EQ: LT1=2 GT1=3

Here are my Hard Inquiries by Bureau March 28

EX: LT1=3 GT1=5

EQ: LT1=1 GT1=4

Experian has a bit more Hard Inquiries than Equifax.  Today the FICO 8 scoring model would figure 3 Hard Inquiries for Experian and 1 Hard Inquiry for Equifax.  All things equal - both EX and EQ had 3 tradelines hit the one year anniversary on 28 March but I got a bigger points jump in EQ than i did with EX even though EX had 3 Hard Inquiries drop from FICO 8 scoring model and EQ only had 2 (but had a bigger points jump).  This leads me to believe that the Hard Inquiries dropping have a bigger affect on your score than reaching an anniversary and if 1 year anniversary is considered, why didnt TU get a bump in points today?  Im wondering if I got a bigger bump on Equifax because the FICO 8 scoring model only factors in 1 Hard Inquiry for Equifax vs 3 for Experian.  I know that the number of Hard Inquiries you have has an affect on scoring for sure.  Having 0 vs 1 vs 3 has got to be figured in there somewhere.  What will be interesting for me on 03/30 when my TU Hard Inquiries for LT1 will be 0.  Maybe and 8 point bump for TU. We will see.  What could derail the TU bump is if the FICO 8 scoring looks at 0 and 1 Hard Inquires the same.  

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The different bureaus can weigh pieces of the FICO puzzle slightly differently I believe.  So one bureau may give a few more points of value to a certain event happening compared to that identical event on another bureau.

I'm curious as to why you think inquiries at the 1 year mark are carrying so much weight/value?  As I said earlier, I've never seen an inquiry impact my score more than 2-3 points and that was right when it happened.  Within 4-6 months IMO all points were recovered.  I wouldn't think at the 1 year mark there would be any points gained back other than maybe 1 per inquiry.  Of course it depends on your profile, but I think a reasonably thick file wouldn't be impacted much if at all at the 1 year mark due to inquiries falling off.  There have been people with a ton of inquiries (double-digit+) that have felt they weren't impacting their score inside of a year.

Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The different bureaus can weigh pieces of the FICO puzzle slightly differently I believe.  So one bureau may give a few more points of value to a certain event happening compared to that identical event on another bureau.

I'm curious as to why you think inquiries at the 1 year mark are carrying so much weight/value?  As I said earlier, I've never seen an inquiry impact my score more than 2-3 points and that was right when it happened.  Within 4-6 months IMO all points were recovered.  I wouldn't think at the 1 year mark there would be any points gained back other than maybe 1 per inquiry.  Of course it depends on your profile, but I think a reasonably thick file wouldn't be impacted much if at all at the 1 year mark due to inquiries falling off.  There have been people with a ton of inquiries (double-digit+) that have felt they weren't impacting their score inside of a year.

Well for EQ FICO 5 I can state emphatically they count for the entire year.

This can be tested if one spaces out some applications over a year if you know where a breakpoint is.  For example on EQ FICO 5 (a FICO 04 model) if I'm at 2 inquires I'm at 700, if I'm at 3 inquiries I'm at 693.  This has been accurate for over the past 2 years that I've basically been flatlined on that particular score.  

Specifically:

Was at 700 and 2 inquiries.

Took mortgage inquiry, 30 days later (grace period) at 3 inquiries down to 693.

An inquiry from a rental application fell off, back to 700

Took another mortgage inquiry, non-dedupe, 30 day grace period back to 693.

An inquiry from VZW dropped off, back to 700.

Went on a spree post closing, took some inquiries on EQ, back to 693 and I'm still stuck on that score as of last month with 4 inquiries counting on EQ.

That's pretty conclusive data that inquiries count for the entire year that they're on there, sum up, sort into a bin, allocate penalty based on which bin you fall into... the penalty is assuredly dependent on scorecard, but I truly doubt the mechanics are any different when we're talking algorithm implementation.  I doubt this has changed for FICO 8 either, I've never understood people's comments that inquiry damage fades after a year as most people's files are way too busy to really test it concretely and most don't garden for a year on a fixed file (where age / thickness and in my case a negative which may or may not be needed limiting my scorecard to some theoretical maximum) to stringently test it.  It's actually really hard to test.

        
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed that it is definitely hard to test.

I just had an inquiry completely come off this past week (2 years) and none of my FICO 08's went up.  It was a Capital One inquiry so it impacted all 3B.  I don't think I considered it at the 1 year mark last year (I hadn't found this forum yet) so I have no idea if my scores increased at all at that time.

If I can garden another 3 months I'll have inquiries dropping off of all 3 bureaus from my mini-spree last summer, so I'll be able to verify some data on this subject.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.