cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone dirty on one bureau but clean on another?

tag
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone dirty on one bureau but clean on another?

I would if I was in a rebuild status. My $34 collection did not start to report till I was in my 5th month of getting my scores better, from 2014. Seems they soft pull you every so often to see where you stand, and if they see "ah this person's credit score is climbing, and new accounts", let's report now so we can get them to most likely pay.

Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

Ok so I guess the key to preventing baddies is to check everything every month right?

Absolutely.  The thing of it though is that many people, me being a perfect example, don't see a need to start monitoring these things until something bad happens.  Sort if "if it aint broke, don't fix it."  Unless you are monitoring your reports though, you don't know if it's "broke."

In my case on all 4 of my negative accounts I was completely unaware that late payments were being reported.  Had I been using a monitoring service, I would have caught all of them much sooner, definitely no later than a 30 day late being reported and I could have reacted so that the severity of the lates never exceeded 30 days.  Also with a monitoring service you'd be able to see a balance decreasing on an account that you co-signed of.  For example, if the monthly payment is $200, you see the balance on say the 10th of the month (assuming the payment is made by the primary) go down... ~$2000, ~$1800, ~$1600, etc.  If the 10th comes and goes and the balance never drops after that creditor reports for the month, you know that the primary did not make the payment... but you are catching this way before the 30 day late mark would hit and can react accordingly by making the payment yourself, threatening the primary with a weapon, etc.

Message 32 of 39
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Ok so I guess the key to preventing baddies is to check everything every month right?

Absolutely.  The thing of it though is that many people, me being a perfect example, don't see a need to start monitoring these things until something bad happens.  Sort if "if it aint broke, don't fix it."  Unless you are monitoring your reports though, you don't know if it's "broke."

In my case on all 4 of my negative accounts I was completely unaware that late payments were being reported.  Had I been using a monitoring service, I would have caught all of them much sooner, definitely no later than a 30 day late being reported and I could have reacted so that the severity of the lates never exceeded 30 days.  Also with a monitoring service you'd be able to see a balance decreasing on an account that you co-signed of.  For example, if the monthly payment is $200, you see the balance on say the 10th of the month (assuming the payment is made by the primary) go down... ~$2000, ~$1800, ~$1600, etc.  If the 10th comes and goes and the balance never drops after that creditor reports for the month, you know that the primary did not make the payment... but you are catching this way before the 30 day late mark would hit and can react accordingly by making the payment yourself, threatening the primary with a weapon, etc.

What type of monitoring service do you recommend? I don't want to pay for a monitoring service but I want to be safe. From your experience, would google calendars and iOS notifications be good enough or do I need an actual service? CK gives me email alerts.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 33 of 39
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Up until a couple of months ago Experian listed a "mortgage" (HELOC) as foreclosed - which is was NOT. EX scores ran 30-35 points behind EQ ans 50+ points behind TU. 

Back story, I had a 40k low interest rate HELOC opened in 1992 with a 10 year term meaning it had to re renewed every 10 years - I pretty much used this as a revolving credit asset for my business for buying inventory. Zero lates or problems renewed same terms in 2002, zero lates or issues going forward to 2012 except the bank "canceled" the HELOC and demanded the loan go from a fixed 1-2% interest to a 7% fixed payment installment loan - I said NO and continued to make regular payments, stating in September the bank returned our payments so we went to a branch and paid the required amount, then in November they refused to take our payment at a branch. In December 1 week before Christmas they scheduled an "foreclosure auction at the courthouse" on our property. 

The property was never auctioned, the loan was converted to a second mortgage, I have never missed a payment but was reported - the old and the new loan - to the CRA's. I disputed the reporting of a foreclosure with all 3 CRA's, TU and EQ removed the old file right away, EX refused several disputes, BBB complain, CFPB complain, etc they simply refused to actually look at the issue and continued to report the account as "other 180 days late was foreclosure". 

In early May 2017 the file discription changed to "unknown" and dropped the foreclosure but still reports 180 staring in June 2012 and "on time" as of December 2012 - this is the old listing, the new listing shows paid as agreed 12/12 through 6/17.  Recently my EX score is 8 points behind EQ (see below).

FICO_scores_692017.JPG

Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian 760 clean

Equifax 733 120 day late from 1.5 years ago

Transunion 720 clean

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

What type of monitoring service do you recommend? I don't want to pay for a monitoring service but I want to be safe. From your experience, would google calendars and iOS notifications be good enough or do I need an actual service? CK gives me email alerts.

Honestly, the free ones are just fine.  CK is great as it gives you weekly updates to your TU and EQ reports.  WalletHub is another good one that's free, where you get DAILY updates on TU.  Throw in $1 trials with CCT once a month so that you get your EX report (as well as TU and EQ) and your 3 FICO 08 scores.  That's all I think anyone really needs and it costs you a dollar a month. 

Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't wait for a credit monitoring service to tell me it's 30 days late, by that time the damage is done.

Keep an eye on your accounts. Either login every month and look at the statement or get a service like Mint that lets you see balances and transactions and check it a few times a month. Especially if you're co-signing on something and letting the other person make payments.

Message 37 of 39
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Is mint free?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't charge a fee, but they probably data mine your transactions.

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.