cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know any cards or things to due for someone who consolidated there credit?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Anyone know any cards or things to due for someone who consolidated there credit?

I know someone who just consolidated all there credit and there score droped 200 points from like 700 something to 500 something, and they r pretty upset after they saw the score. What can i tell them to do? I don't really know any advice to give them for this but i do know that they didn't realize it would be this significant. They have never missed a payment and always had good scores.  R they pretty much starter now all over again?

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone know any cards or things to due for someone who consolidated there credit?

@quarius wrote:

I know someone who just consolidated all there credit and there score droped 200 points from like 700 something to 500 something, and they r pretty upset after they saw the score. What can i tell them to do? I don't really know any advice to give them for this but i do know that they didn't realize it would be this significant. They have never missed a payment and always had good scores.  R they pretty much starter now all over again?

Honestly that doesn't sound right; what specificaly did he do and what's on the reports now?  Did he go through some Debt Management Program, as that's a pretty big negative in it's own right when reported is my understanding of it.

Without the actual report data, it's hard for us to make a call either way, but a drop of 200 points is almost certainly a negative of some sort.

        
Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone know any cards or things to due for someone who consolidated there credit?

Ditto. Aside from what was consolidated, were any of the accounts closed as a result of the consolidation? Is your friend looking at a FICO score? Were both scores for comparison pulled from the same source (e.g. a lender)?

Message 3 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1 Major negative, or multiple major negatives.  I went through a DMP years ago to keep from filing BK and make sure all creditors got paid.  Suffered worse than if I had filed a BK.  YMMV of course.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 10
quarius
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@quarius wrote:

Honestly that doesn't sound right; what specificaly did he do and what's on the reports now?  Did he go through some Debt Management Program, as that's a pretty big negative in it's own right when reported is my understanding of it.

Without the actual report data, it's hard for us to make a call either way, but a drop of 200 points is almost certainly a negative of some sort.

Yes they went threw some debt management program, not sure all the full details of this but they got a letter stateing the 200 point drop.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
Message 5 of 10
quarius
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Ditto. Aside from what was consolidated, were any of the accounts closed as a result of the consolidation? Is your friend looking at a FICO score? Were both scores for comparison pulled from the same source (e.g. a lender)?

Yes i believe all or most of there cards were closed because of this. So it seems from everyones response so far they r screwed in this regard. 

Anybody have any suggestions because i believe they screwed themselves.

Message 6 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Closed CCs w/ a balance still factor into CC util, as do open ones. Unfortunately, many consolidation companies will ask you to close the cards when entering their program and/or when you accept their check. Once the balance goes to $0, then they are forever removed from CC util. So, if closed and at $0, I can see a scenario where a FICO score can drop, especially if they have any other account(s) that still report a high balance and are hurting CC util. It may be out of his/her control anyway, but it's often a requirement they are closed.

If the accounts were late which led to the decision to consolidate, then that too can have an adverse result when the accounts show lates and/or derog comments.

Not too much they can do other than maybe ask 2-3 creditors if they can reopen the accounts. If not, I'd tell them to open a secured card or two. It also sounds like there are other things going on within the reports. 200 seems too high for changes in util alone. I suspect there are some lates factored in there somewhere, and/or they are comparing two different scoring systems (e.g. a FICO with a FAKO).

Message 7 of 10
quarius
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Closed CCs w/ a balance still factor into CC util, as do open ones. Unfortunately, many consolidation companies will ask you to close the cards when entering their program and/or when you accept their check. Once the balance goes to $0, then they are forever removed from CC util. So, if closed and at $0, I can see a scenario where a FICO score can drop, especially if they have any other account(s) that still report a high balance and are hurting CC util. It may be out of his/her control anyway, but it's often a requirement they are closed.

If the accounts were late which led to the decision to consolidate, then that too can have an adverse result when the accounts show lates and/or derog comments.

Not too much they can do other than maybe ask 2-3 creditors if they can reopen the accounts. If not, I'd tell them to open a secured card or two. It also sounds like there are other things going on within the reports. 200 seems too high for changes in util alone. I suspect there are some lates factored in there somewhere, and/or they are comparing two different scoring systems (e.g. a FICO with a FAKO).

Never any lates or negatives in that way. Just consolodation of all there debt, which they had alot of stuff. They r in there 50's-60's. They just wanted a way of being able to pay the debt without going crazy and i don't think they thought it out all the way and now they r not to happy with the resulted and what will happen when they want credit anytime soon.

Message 8 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Sounds like it's not a debt "consolidation" but one of these marginal operations that tells you to stop paying your CCs but pay them instead and they will divvy some fraction out to the CC companies. The better ones do this in return for an agreement with the CC company to accept less than what is owed. The more scummy ones just rake off their cut and good luck Charley - hope you don't get sued as well.

They both will kill your credit just like a short sale is almost as bad as a foreclosure.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I concur with cashnocredit..........was it a debt settlement company? In other words, did they pay less through a settlement?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.