cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with experience on paying down cc and the score change?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone with experience on paying down cc and the score change?

Ok here's my situation....I need a 10pt increase on my equifax and a 20 pt on my transunion. I have 4 credit cards...one with zero balance almost always, one that I just paid off right before Christmas that has not reported yet and two more that I plan to pay off this month. The two that are left are way over 50% util maybe even 75%. If I pay those off do you think I will get much of a increase in my credit scores?? I don't want to get my hopes up and then have like a 7 pt increase.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone with experience on paying down cc and the score change?

So your current utilization you would say is around 45-50% maybe? If you pay them down or off, then yes I think you should see a nice jump in your score. 20? Pretty sure. 30-40? Probably.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will it matter that the two that are left don't have big credit limits?? The one I don't use is $2500cl  the one I paid off is a $500 cl and I paid off the $170 balance....the last two have $300 dollar limits and they are the ones that are way too close to being maxed out.
Message 3 of 5
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Yes

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like your overall util is about 15% or so. If you paid off one and left about $10 or something miniscule on the other, you might be able to squeeze out the 10-20 points. Have you tried the sim yet. Change the timeframe from 24 months to 1 month.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.