cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for credit made my score higher??

tag
jenrhi
New Contributor

Applying for credit made my score higher??

Why would applying for a mortgage make myfico.com score go up a point?? I though inquires would decrease it not increase?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Applying for credit made my score higher??

Relying on SW alerts?

Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jenrhi wrote:

Why would applying for a mortgage make myfico.com score go up a point?? I though inquires would decrease it not increase?

There are other things on your report that changed;  this is what caused your score to increase.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
jenrhi
New Contributor

After reading more, I gather SW alerts are not the most dependable!

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@jenrhi wrote:

After reading more, I gather SW alerts are not the most dependable!

They can be...first let me say that I once got a SW alert for 20 points because I added an inquiry. The inquiry didn't give me 20, but it was something else changing on my report (a dropped baddie) that SW won't alert me to.

Remember, your score is monitored every week or so for changes. If there was an event that causes a credit alert, like an added inquiry, then SW will update you to the credit alert with a score alert if your score changed inside the weekly monitoring. Many will associate the credit change with the score change (X caused Y), but it's other things going on in your EQ report that SW won't ever alert you to that caused the score change in many cases (e.g. dropped baddies, dropped lates, improved util, etc.).

Message 5 of 6
Fresh101
Regular Contributor

^^^ makes sense

Starting: 547 +Score EX, 541 MyFico EQ,562 MyFico TU (Dec 2nd)

Current: 736 FCR "EX" (Nov. 5th), 668 MyFico "EQ" (Nov. 5th), 748 MyFico "TU" (Nov. 5th)

CC: BB&T $2,500 CL 3/2013, BarclayCard $3,000 CL 4/2013, WellsFargo $300 CL 7/2012 & Cap1 $451 CL 5/2012

Goal Score: 800's Rank
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.